Headlights, Running Lights. Please, I need HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Headlights, Running Lights. Please, I need HELP!

I've had a problem for about 2 weeks. My headlights have been blinking on and off. Shorting out my tail lights and my dash lights. Whether its in High Beams or Low beams my headlights flicker on and off, making my dash lights and taillights flicker also. Today I bought a new headlight switch and put it in. My headlights aren't blinking on and off anymore but I can't see my dashlights because its day. I have no tail lights. I turn on my switch, I get headlights- high beams and low beams all work. My dome light works, my blinkers all work. My emergency lights all work, brake lights work. When I turn my switch to park lights, I have no parklights what so ever. No running lights in the back work and the orange lights in the front don't work either. But all other lights work! I have replaced all my fuses, all my fuses are brand new. All seem to be working properly, so I don't think its a fuse. I have replaced all my bulbs in the back and all my amber lights in the front, all those bulbs are brand new. I am totally lost now, I have no idea where to go from here. If you have an idea, I could sure use the help.

Da Ford Fixer Upper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like my problem!

Take the switch back out and check the wiring... You may have snagged one and it's shorting out. I had the panel off of my 88 to fix the wiper switch, and when I put it back together, my dash lights didn't work when the headlights were on. The only way my dash lights will work is if the switch is turned to the dome light position. I haven't been able to take it back apart, but I'm sure there is a bad connection or something. I just removedt the bulb for now. To top it all off, my wipers don't work any better than before! Good luck!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sounds like my problem!

This thing is so screwy, I just got another switch to see if that was my problem, and now I'm back to my headlights flashing. I think the short is in the plug that goes to my headlight switch, but still not sure. Working my butt off in the cold SUCKS. I know I got a short somewhere, but finding it is quite the pain. I just don't understand how EVERYTHING works but my dash lights and my running lights... Its so weird! Thanks for replying to my problem.

Da Ford Fixer Upper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sounds like my problem!

When the lights are flashing, can you hear the breaker in the switch clicking? If you can, you may have a short elsewhere. A bad ground can trip the breaker also!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-1999, 01:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Switch

Yes, there is a click in the switch. I know i have a short somewhere. I can see my needle on my battery discharge everytime I here the click. So SOMEWHERE there is a short. I have worked on my truck 9 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. for 2 days straight, tomorrow I'm going to cut some wires and figure out if the short is in the back of the truck or in the front then go from there.

Da Ford -Havin Trouble-Fixer Upper
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-1999, 09:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Switch

I went through this a few years ago on an old 77 Bronco. Lights would flash, a real pain. Turned out that the truck had a bad body to frame ground strap. Actually this truck had a lot of bad grounds, but that is what caused the lights to flash. I saw this many years ago on a Ford car also, it had a bad ground near the headlights. I'm not discounting that it cound be a short, just keep in mind that it might be a bad ground. A bad ground causes high resistance which could trip the headlight breaker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode