Bronco overhead rack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 03:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bronco overhead rack

Buddy of mine has an early 80's full size bronco and was looking for suggestions on mounting a overhead kayak/canoe rack on it without destroying the resale value. Are there any commercially available products out there? Or has anyone come up with a great idea on there own for this sort of thing. Thanks guys...I'm a Dodge driver myself, but really like the 300 I6 he has in his Bronco.

Phil

Those who try to make things foolproof always underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bronco overhead rack

Hey Phil,
Most of the roof racks out there are rain gutter mounted. They mount on the rain gutters that are on the fiberglass camper-top. They act kind of like clamps, and can be removed or put back on whenever you like...no damage. Sorry I cant be more specific as to which brands. I am sure,however, that any paddling (canoe/kayak) shop would be able to help your freind out.

Roland

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 06:36 PM
eddiebaur

Phil im also looking for a roof-rack system for a canoe or kayak mount if you find anything let me know email me at [email protected] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:04 AM

A buddy of mine has a rack on his ramcharger and it's a simple thing, I'll see where he got it, it's used for his kayak.-Bob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:58 AM
eddiebaur

yeah just post sum pics if u could thanks
dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:58 AM
eddiebaur

yeah just post sum pics if u could thanks
dave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:10 PM
XLTChris

I have a cool rack that came with my bronco when I bought it. It was a kit and all you had to do was drill into the shell and mount small brackets. They work just like a rain gutter system would. Then you have the rack parts. They can be adjusted and you put the clamp part on, turn it until it locks down and then you have a key to lock them so they dont come off or get stolen. The cool part is when I dont want them on you bairly notice the brackts on the sides and I have put allot of things on them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 04:48 PM
eddiebaur

is ur rack a ford rack?
wut kind is it and does it bot right through the roof
do u think u could post a few pictures of it <font color="blue"> </font color>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:29 PM
XLTChris

It's not a Ford rack..
The brackets are about 4 inches long. They bolt to the hard top shell of my bronco. The bolts are visable inside the truck but are small. I didn't install it but it looks very easy. This is a pic from camping. You can kinda see the mounts above the windows. The racks clamp into the brackets and then lock. they are great because when I dont want the racks you cant even tell my truck can have them. I am not sure of the brand. No stickers or anything on them... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1277984-truckside2.jpg (53.2 KB, 6 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Pooh-Bah

RE: Rain gutter type mounts on the top.
Yep, that's what I use.
They were under $20, and easy to install. Note the yellow arrow.

Ah ha. Heres one with the mounted rack. (Im the rig on the left)

I use a generic Yakima rack, with the rear rack mounted to the top, and the front rack mounted on the rain gutter.
I'm not sure about the weight rating of the rack, but I have stood on the rack itself without anything breaking. (~185lbs.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode