how to put disc brakes in rear AND putting solid frontend in 93 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

how to put disc brakes in rear AND putting solid frontend in 93

I have a 93 and I'm planning a lift for the fairly-near future, and want to do some things first. One of these is putting a solid front end on this beast. What's a good solid frontend replacement that will bolt easily onto a 93?

Also, I want to put disc brakes on the rear since my rear drums don't seem to do much, so would going with a disc kit or a new Ford 9" (or other rearend that will easily bolt on) with disc be the way to go? I saw a 9" with disc for 250 in the paper...thought I might grab it if that's the way to go.

Any advice in this category is _greatly_ appreciated!
Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how to put disc brakes in rear AND putting solid frontend in 93

Eric,
To my knowledge the "easiest" front axle swap-in would be a Dana44 out of a 78-79 Bronco. Seeing as though the TTB front suspension in your Bronco is a Dana44 IFS, the easiest way to go is with a front axle from the above vehicle. Im pretty sure the axle width is correct too. The only things that need to be done are, locate new radius arm brackets on the frame, and weld on/fabricate a bracket for the panhard bar (i think thats what its called). You are going to need new coil-springs and shocks, and maybe some type of steering linkage fabrication. Jeffs Bronco Graveyard actually has a solid axle Dana44 conversion but it's WAY overpriced. Their site address is broncograveyard.com. hope this helps!

Roland

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 03:38 AM
Shilo

Re: how to put disc brakes in rear AND putting solid frontend in 93

The 9" is probably not a wise choice if you have a '93. You need your ABS sensor, w/out it, your speedo won't work and your E4OD will shift very poorly. Stainless Steel Brakes ($$$) and/or TSM might make a disc swap, I can't remember for sure. Another option would be discs off a '95 Exploder or Mountaineer, have them redrilled to 5on5.5 from the 5on4.5. Warn is now making a full floater for the 8.8 w/a disc brake swap option at the same time, but cost is not yet certain and neither is production date.
Otherwise, you could go to a 10.25 rear from an F250/350 which is easily converted to discs w/a kit from TSM, and has the ABS plug. This gets expensive if all you wanted was rear discs, however. And there are other problems, like 8 lug wheel bolt pattern. But if you're going to go w/live front axle, it may not be so bad (if you're willing to spend the money) as a front Dana 44 can be converted to 8 lug fairly easily.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode