Is TIRE Size limited to the wheel you have? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 06:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is TIRE Size limited to the wheel you have?

This question is to help out my friend who is currently in the process of "raising" his 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a suspension kit and a set of larger tires.

My friend is in the process of installing a set of 15x10" Eagle Alloys 589 rims fitted with BF Goodrich All Terrain 35x12.50" TA/KO tires onto his Jeep. The wheels were recently delivered to his house several days and the tires are on their way. But what is strange is that each wheel came enclosed in a box and on this box printed in red lettering is a warning stating that --

" Eagle Alloy does not support the use of any tire diameter greater than 32" to be installed on these 15x10" wheels."
HOW SERIOUS SHOULD THIS WARNING BE TAKEN?

What is PERPLEXING is that the local Chrysler/Jeep dealership is selling brand new Jeep Wranglers with an aftermarket lift kit package already installed. These kits include E/A 589 rims surrounded by at LEAST 33" tires. Then there are those companies seen in magazines and on the internet that advertise tire and wheel packages of 15x10" E/A 589 rims combined with tires of an outer diameter greater than 32." For example, if you go to DesertRat (http://www.desertrat.com/mudder/mega_mudder.htm), you will see that they are selling a package of 35" General Tire Conti Mud-Trac tires with the 15x10" E/A 589 rims for $850. Lastly, I have personally seen many trucks and Jeeps that have the E/A 589 rims with tires larger than 32" and there does not seem to be any apparent problem (if any).

Why would so many people be IGNORING this warning? I have never heard of this warning before nor have I seen any company mention this?

I wouldn't be losing any sleep over this but since the wheels were shipped to my friend's house, his parents read the warning printed on the box and have since refused to allow my friend to install such rims onto his Jeep, fearing that this could lead to an automobile accident, insurance coverage technicalities, lawsuit, death, blah blah blah, etc. This has made my friend very upset.

HOW SERIOUS SHOULD THIS WARNING BE TAKEN?
Anyone who can shed light on this topic is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is TIRE Size limited to the wheel you have?

ohh man dont worry about it. ignore that warning. 33s with 15x10s is probably one of the most common tire & wheel combinations out there. I run the same setup all day. Notice how the warning says "does not support" it doesnt say. doing so maybe dangerous. It just says that EA doesnt support it. AS far as injury or death, thats all in the hands of the driver. Lifted jeeps arent exactly the safest vehicle to drive in, and your friend has to take that into consideration. Remember lifting a vehicle raises the center of gravity, so driving safely is a must or else that Jeep WILL roll over.

ROland

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-1999, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't worry about it. The rim company is just covering its behind in case someone sues because of a rollover for example. All companies have to place warnings on everything from Q-tips (don't pound this into your ear) to ... you get the point.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got new wheels/tires and noticed that all wheels have a (different) maximum tire size.

Since different wheels have different ratings (depending on style) I just figured that the wheel may not support the side-to-side leverage put on it by a larger diameter tire. I'm guessing though, if this is true, these numbers are relatively conservative and may just be there to cover the wheel company's butt in case something happens (see above posts).

The wheels I got (American Racing white "wagon" wheel) are only rated at 31" (or something) but after looking around and seeing tons of trucks with 35-38" tires on these same wheels and having no problems, I figured I'd be safe.

I've seen many-a-truck with 35 " tires on those 589's, I wouldn't worry about it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-1999, 04:16 PM
TEX

<font color=purple> I think it just basically means they won't warrantee the wheel for larger tires. How often is that a problem??? </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode