Emissions Tube!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-1999, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Emissions Tube!!!!

I found that the rear emissions tube on the back of the block is seperated from the tube to the pump. Now, where can I find a replacement tube for this without buying the whole exhaust system.
Also I decided to keep the 33X12.5's on it and just put a small lift on it----any suggestions?---2-4inch is enough though 4 is getting up there.
Thanks for any info--
87 Bronco (302)
ed-d87

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-1999, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Emissions Tube!!!!

What exactly is this tube? I have seen (and had) 302's that had an air supply pipe 'round back that was basically an inverted "T". The middle member of the T was supplied with air from the air pump via the diverter/dump valves and an anti-backfire check valve. Then an end of each side of the T bolted to the back of each cylinder head (one to left, one to right). This tube assembly was a dealer-part only, and tends to rust out over a long period of time in cold climates due to more condensation in cold weather. But one replacement per the life of the vehicle ain't too bad a cost.

Don't know if that's the pipe you're talking about, or if you even have one like that.
UncleDon

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-1999, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uncledon is probably correct. These commonly fail, not the tubes but the check valve. If this is the problem, don't try to remove it while it is on the engine. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the tubes to the heads and place the assembly in a vice. If you don't the tubes will most likely get damaged. The check valve is fairly cheap 10-15 bucks I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-1999, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it is the pipe to the convertor from the check valve I replaced it with a copper tube bendable type. good luck Ken 1986 5.8

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-1999, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can, throw all that stuff away. My 87 302 has no emissions on it anymore. You can simply plug the tube coming from the back of the engine. Then have an exhaust shop fix the hole in the exhaust.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-02-1999, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did the same thing on an "import" (one of the ones listed below on the sig-line)...i had to cut the tube from exhaust-to-intake to clear head removal for replacement, tried to repair the cut area, and it didn't hold, so we welded plugs on each end (no bargain...it was stainless), then sleeved the gap to cover the "repaired" area. this was not the air pump recirc, it was an exhaust manifold scavenger. no change in performance. hope this helps.

Dave
'79 Bronco
'89 Trooper
'86 Trooper II
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-1999, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question, aren't you violating emission standards (laws) by cutting and plugging the tube?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-1999, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't say violating, it sounds so dirty. Consider it a loop hole. If there is a problem with the emission system and you should happen to repair it however you can, then it's ok. The problem is when there's nothing wrong with the emissons and you by-pass it for whatever reason. It's like when you remove the cat conv. The law states that it's illegal to remove a non-defective cat conv.

I hope you're not one of those smog Nazi's.

Bravoman

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-1999, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Smog Nazzi? The only smog Nazzi I know of is the person who removed a catalytic converter to pick up a few horses. You are Gassing people and the environment. That is a Nazzi in my book. And yes it is illegal no mater what loophole you THINK you are using. Try living in a city like Denver that has a "Brown Cloud" because of polluting vehicles. You will then think of the Catalytic Converter and newer "clean air" vehicles as a blessing. Please do us all a favor and replace the smog components (especially if they only cost a few bucks)
Thank

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-05-1999, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was only stating how to interpert that law. I feel that a clean air vehicle that is low in emissions is great especially for a daily driver. My truck on the other hand is used mostly to go off road and rarely around town. Earlier this year I found that my cats were clogged and I went to Ford and bought a new conv. that set me back about $550 bucks (not cheap). I tried everywhere local and they could only be found at Ford.

I'm no Nazi,

Bravoman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode