?390? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-1999, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

?390?

I found an add in the paper for a 1979 Bornco XLT Ranger
its an automatic and a 390cid v-8 is this right
I've seen the 302-351-400-460 but whats a 390?
anyone have any advice or are these people b.s.n. me
please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-1999, 02:15 AM
mudmonger

Re: ?390?

>>>The 390 is part of the FE engine series which includes the 352, 360, 390, 427, and several 428's. This engine was available in the over 1/2 ton trucks through the mid 70's as well as the 360. It was however, to the best of my knowledge never offered in any Bronco. This could be put in with some fabrication, but, is not stock. You should definitly confirm if this is a 390 and if it was installed in a safe manner before purchasing. The FE engine group can most easily be identified by the the intake design. The valve covers actually bolt to the intake and the heads. These engines are a unique design and are getting long in the tooth since they have been out of production sicne the 70's. Performance parts are not as common as other engine families(or as cheap) and none of the bolt patterns are shared out side of this family. These engines can make lots of power though and if the one you are looking at is in good shape it may be worth the investment if you don't mind a slightly rare commodity. Good luck to you and happy wheelin'. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-1999, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ?390?

I was actually going to purchase a new Bronco in 1979. The only engines offered were the 351 & 400.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode