Bronco 460 Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-1999, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bronco 460 Swap

I have a 1979 Bronco-with the 400M engine and auto C6 transmission.Believe I could go another 2 years with this engine but instead of rebuilding it I would like to put in a completely rebuilt 460.Reason being,during the summer I pull a 24' trailer through mountain passes and would like to get Maximum torque and power for the Bronco.Has anyone done this and how difficult would this be to do.The engine I found, but have not bought yet, is in a 1978 van.Would the engine mounting bolts be in the same position as they would be from a truck?Thanks in advance for any help and info.

smile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-1999, 02:01 AM
mudmonger

Re: Bronco 460 Swap

>>>Hiya. I am no expert on the mid generation Broncos, but, I will tell you what I do know for sure. The 460 and modified engine family share the same bell housing pattern, so, the tranny will work. The motor mounts are different though. The 460 was only available in the heavier trucks(250 and 350) and the Bronco is basically a short F-150 after 77'. This means the frame is different and you will need custom motor mounts. I believe a company called L&L makes all sorts of custom pieces for this conversion and should have all the info. Look in the back of a 4x4 mag for the phone # or web site. You'll probably need custom headers so the exhaust can clear the frame rails and you will want a bigger radiator too. Hope this helps a little. Good luck to you.

NUFF SAID
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-1999, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi , You can get everything you need from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard in Michigan. The address is P.O. Box 227 South Lyon , MI. 48178. They carry a full line of L&L products that make this swap very easy.
See Ya Garret

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-1999, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi there.Thanks for the Info guys.I bought the 460 and will be picking it up this weekend.Can't wait to get my hands on it for the re-build!Another question I'm debating is if I should put Headers on it.I know headers will make it a better breathing engine but will they not do some nasty things in the engine compartment because of too much heat.I'm thinking that under a normal load and short bursts of power headers are great but what about long hauls (10 hours at a time) with a heavy load? Thanks in advance.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about ceramic coated headers? The reduce underhood temperatures. If you are gonna go this route, I would strongly suggest jet-hot coatings.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much did you pay for the 460?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello. Got it for $150.00 from a salvage yard.I'm planning on doing a complete teardown and rebuild so I realize that costs will go up from there.The machining will be farmed out and the assembly I'll do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode