Headlights but no dash or parking lights?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-1999, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Headlights but no dash or parking lights??

Can't figure it out. I HAVE headlights & brake lights but NO parking lights or dash/consloe lights. At first I thought it was the fuses. But the fuses are all good. Can't figure out why these two seperate electrical lines are gone at the same time??
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Sackett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-1999, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Headlights but no dash or parking lights??

If you have not blown a fuse from a shorted wire and none of your instrument or parking lights are working, I would have to say that it is your switch.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-1999, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have removed and ohm'd out the fuses and they are ok, I would have to say the good old Ford light switch has gone south (done many of 'em). I am not sure if your model has a fusible link or not.....
Good Luck,
Rick-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-1999, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are your gages not working also? If so, take a look at the ignition switch. Alot of 80-90's ford have trouble with
not quite returning to the run position from the start position. It happend on our 89' F-250 and on my 83' Bronco.
try manually turning your switch back and see if they work......... the thing that popped this into my mind id that
ONLY the brake lights and headlights work. they work because they are wired to a battery positive lead and
everything else (dash lights, gages, ect.) are run off the ignition, accesory, or both leads. If the switch doesn't
quite return to the run position, nothing works..........

Do'n it with only 6 cylinders!
member of Team boarcock off-road club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-1999, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The instrument panel is functioning and as far as I can tell, everything else is working too. I guess I'll start with the headlight switch. Do I need to replace the actual assembly where I pull the knob to turn the lights on?
Thanks,
Sack

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-1999, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes. There is ussually a little button on the top or bottom (can't remember) of the switch right up against the back side of the instrument panel. This allows the knob and shaft to be pulled out. Then you can remove the switch. it has a rectangle block connector that needs to be unplugged. You can ussually do that agter you pull it down a little to see it. It is a really simple job. When you go and buy the switch it will probably come with the directions on or in the package.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-1999, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll tell you your problem. Ford headlight switch connecters melt. causing a short. pull your headlight switch out and look at the plug, I bet it's melted. Your local ford dealer has connecters in stock, Get a switch also.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-02-1999, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help guys. It was the switch. Real easy 5 minute fix.
Sackett

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-1999, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sackett, Thanks for posting back what you found. It helps all of us learn more.
UncleDon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode