Steering problems need help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-1999, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering problems need help!

I own a 95 Bronco XL full size 5.0 w/33" BFG's & 4" Rancho lift. I've owned the truck for 1year and immediately had it lifted. Whenever I accelerate it swerves to the right. It has always done that a little but now it's getting really bad it, the truck is getting tough to control. I don't think that the alignment is off because I had the alignment done 3months ago plus the truck only swerves when I accelerate. It happens on the street and on the freeway it is not consistent it won't do it everytime I accelerate, only sometimes but it is getting worse. Could it be the rear end? The original owner said he had some work done on the rear end. Sometimes I get a loud thump coming from the rear end when I make sharp turns, again they are not consistent only sometimes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering problems need help!

I had the same problem only to find out a Detroit Locker was put in the rear which drives both wheels at the same time. My problem started with the klunking when turning lock to lock on the street, but the controll problem started when one tire was low on air so when I gased it it would pull to the right or the left depending on the road. To check this out lift the rear of your truck spin one tire if the other turns the same way you have a posi or locker unit int he rear.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are correct both tires spin the same way. Is having a posi or locker unit in the rear a good thing? Is it better than the stock rear? Is it normal for it to to thump when making turns? One of my rear tires was low on air, I filled it up but it still pulls to the right. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's my 2 cents... Posi (Limited Slip) should not be causing your problem, cuz your going straight (assuming the rolling diameters of both rear wheels is the same or pretty close). The clutches in LS only come into play if there is a greatly differing load or rotation speed wheel-to-wheel. If something was broke big time, would think you would have a no-go situation. When the clutches eventually wear out, you will be effectively left with a regular "open" differential (not LS).

Some ideas... have you checked your leaf springs closely? Maybe u-bolts loose/broken, leaf or two broken (look at edges real carefully with a light, looking for a vertical crack, have seen broken leaves that looked OK when parked!). What about your lift pieces - mountings, brackets, etc. What I'm getting at here is anything that allows the rear axle to move fore-and-aft on one side will translate to an unwanted steering input.

Probably want to look at the front end also. When you get on it, weight transfers from front to back, so front suspension unloads some and the body rises. Anything there that could give a steering input? I'm assuming that when this happens, that your transfer case is in 2WD, and that the front shaft is really not powered, and that BOTH hubs are really unlocked and stay unlocked. Any funny business there could create a pull.

Too bad you didn't drive it a lot BEFORE the lift was installed, that way you would have a good reference. Oh well!
UncleDon

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did drive it for about 2weeks before the lift. It drove fine, even after the lift it has always driven fine. The problem I am experiencing just started happening about a week ago, the truck has been lifted for 9 months now. I will be taking the truck in to Offroad Wharehouse tomorrow they are the guys that lifted my truck. I will tell them about all the recommendations you guys have given me. Thanks!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 07:24 PM
mudmonger

>>>>Expanding on what Uncle Don said about the weight transfer from front to back, you should check a couple of front end pieces. The ball joints could cause this as wieght is unloaded from the front and the wear that is in them would change alignment. You should also check where the radius arm connects to the frame. If it were loose or the bushing were bad it would allow the radius to rotate and this would change the caster on that side of the axle and could pull that way. Hope these help. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-17-1999, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know this may sound stupid, but when you installed the lift did you use new radius arm bushings. I ask because if there worn like mine were, the wheel can shift a little back and forth. This resulted in a pull to the left. When I installed an Explorer Pro-Comp 6" lift and replaced all radius arm bushings the pulling stopped.

Hope this helps,

Alex "Bravoman" Benoit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode