Cracked Header - Now What? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cracked Header - Now What?

Bronco Owners,

One of my headers is cracked and I am beginning to smell exhaust fumes from the interior when I am stopped at a red light. This of course is not good and I am looking for any recommendations as to what pair of headers I should look into. After reading such posts like "ARGGHH MANIFOLD," I got a little confused, but I understand that purchasing the wrong type of headers can actually decrease performance (such as low end torque) in the truck. I definitely do NOT want this to happen. Ideally, I want a pair of headers that gives me, most importantly, a noticeable increase in low end torque. High end horse power would also definitely be a plus. And, of course, I want to spend a reasonable amount of money.

I own a 1992 FS Bronco with a 5.0 engine that is I would say is 99% stock. It sounds to me that if I replace just the headers and keep the existing exhaust system the same (with 2 ¼" pipes), the backpressure should create the low end torque I am looking for. Am I right?

The cat-back exhaust has been replaced once before by the previous owner but only with OEM parts (how boring). Currently, the exhaust is starting to get a bit old and rusty. Would it be worthwhile for me to look into replacing the entire exhaust system while I am down there replacing the headers?

Any helpful advice is great. Thanks in advance.

Asswipe / [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cracked Header - Now What?

If your gonna change your headers, I'd go with the JBA Shorty Headers. I installed them in my 89 FS 351W and I saw an increase in low end torque and more power throughout the rpm. Don't be cheap go with the coated header. There easy to install. I have the stock exhaust y-pipes and cats. They were changed about 8 months ago and I had to go to Ford ($580)because no one else carried them, it's a one piece. Good luck if you try to fabricate anything, I tried and it wasn't easy due to the way the exhaust pathway is set up. If you use full length headers they'll end just before the cross-member and you can't use the cats. Some people don't care about that but the Smog-Nazis in my state look down on that.

I swapped the muffler for a Flowmaster 50 series muffler. It sounds as good as it works. Helps scavange heat and increases hp.

For what you want I think this would be a good (and inexpensive) way to go.

Hope this helps,

Alex.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bravoman,
I guess this is too late since you already bought it, but Bassani makes a
y-pipe for Bronco's. You can get one with a catalytic converter or one without. If anyone needs exhaust parts for their vehicle ,whatever it may be, go to www.bassani.com very good stuff.

Roland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alex and Roland,

Thanks for the info. I still need to do some more surfing but the cheapest price I can find for the JBA Headers is $330.00 @ www.desertrat.com. I am correct to say that I need Part Number 1627 for my 92 Bronco? This probably isn't coated either... do you happen to know if there is a Part Number for the coated headers? Are these kits are bolt-on (connects to original exhaust system), come with all hardware, like gaskets, and even come with a small instructional video - is this true? The last two questions are asked just to make sure I get no surprises.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

im not sure of the part numbers...but get coated ones. Yes, they bolt on to the original exhaust y-pipe. I dont know if any gaskets and stuff come with them. You wont need a video, installation is pretty easy. (but a video is cool!)Like I said try bassani exhaust. they manufacture everything in-house...where as companies like JBA and dynomax get other companies to make them (so ive heard)Also try BBK stuff. BBK and Bassani have been proven winners and are said to offer the most performance increases. they have been the top choice for many Mustang owners for years. The headers are also equal length. at least visit the web site!

Roland

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 06:27 AM
mudmonger

>>>I put the same headers on my F-150 5.0 that you are looking at. Unfortunately I don't remember the part#. They were about 325 bucks when I bought them about 3 years ago. The ones I received came with all installation hardware and gaskets. They have a socket on the end where they bolt to the Y-pipe so you use no gasket here. The ones for the money you are looking at should be stainless steel and have a lifetime warranty. From my understanding the ceramic coated header is mostly used to keep engine bay cooler and this keeps overall engine temp down which is supposed to make a few extra horsepower. Don't know if it is worth the extra bucks though. I do advise that you use an exhaust manifold gasket instead of the gasket that comes with it. I had to replace my gaskets twice, second time was with manifold gaskets. I also tried something suggested by a race engine builder. This was to cut the flange inbetween each cylinder. He told me the flange is so thick it can warp as it heats and cools and this adds to gasket failure and poor sealing. I believe he was right, no leaks in over a year and a half. Of course I am sure that modifying the header this way would void the warranty. Hope this is useful to ya. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode