ARGGHH MANIFOLD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ARGGHH MANIFOLD

While trying to get the thermastat housing off on my 87 Bronco's 302---the head of the bolt broke!!!! So I used wd-40 and tried using vise-grips to get the rest out and that was unsuccessful. So I used a chisel to help turn the bolt some. Well, it definately came out !!!!! So did the threaded part of the manifold---in a big chunk----. So now I need a manifold and while I'm there, I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the top half of the engine with new cam and lifters and check the heads out and regrind the valve seats!!! Talked the wife into it!!! Any advice on where I can get a stock or above stock cam that will still work with the FI system without any problems. Also, any advice on manifolds?
Thanks
Ed-d87

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ARGGHH MANIFOLD

Have the manifolds ported. Porting smooths out the metal inside the manifold so exhaust gases pass with less restriction. Other than a tri-Y style header, ported manifolds are the best choice for LOW END torque(assuming that the rest of the exhaust is not plugged up or too unrestricted). I have heard that regular shorty headers and even equal lengths make you loose a lot of the low end torque needed for off-roading (If the Bronco doesnt see dirt, and sees more roads and highways, go with headers) If you offroad and need the low end,ported manifolds are the way to go.

Roland

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 04:10 PM
mudmonger

rol231-Shorty Headers

>>>This is to ROLand. Do you have headers on your vehicle? When I bought the JBA shorty headers I was told that full length headers were for high end horse power and would actually cause a loss of torque. I do not know for sure, I have never used any. I do know that my unequal length JBAs did show a noticable increase in both low end torque and in upper rpm horse power. Mid-range stayed about the same, but, on the trails around 1500 rpm it runs stronger and above 4000 rpm the 5.0 really comes alive, used to taper off at about 5000, but, now builds power until I let off. This may be only one mans experience, but, RV Performance was the company that I dealt with for the headers and I assumed that they new something about truck engine's power needs. Later.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rol231-Shorty Headers

nope, stock manifolds. I am a member of a late model bronco mailing list that is comprised of hundreds of people, and that's where I got this info (from a few people...not just one)The headers you have may have given you good low end, but from what I hear, ported manifolds with the properly matched after-header exhaust components can offer more low end torque than shorty headers with the properly matched exhaust components. Hey, you may be right! i havent experienced this for myself!! again I have only been told this by many other people all of which are from the list and are seasoned 4wheelers. They also all drive Ford Broncos. I have not experienced this myself. I do, however, value the know-how of the other Ford Bronco owners on the mailing list, much like how you value RV performance's know-how.

Roland
Roland

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with you ROL. When I went to a free flowing intake and exhaust on a 351M (Edelbrock/Holley600 and 3" 4-tube headers), I was very concerned about loss of low end (I run beaches, and pull at idle). The comment about exhaust components behind the headers is very insightful. I ran 2-1/4" pipes to increase backpressure (since I have glasspacks and no cats) to maintain low end. The larger headers (they are ceramic-coated) help lower head temperatures, and , yes, flow a he** of a lot better at high revs (with stock heads), but the "restricted" exhaust pipes seat the exhaust valves and give great low end. I've had more than a few comments from mechanics about how this is the first free-revving 351M they've seen in a truck, that has low end response. I just stumbled across the setup, so no credit here! Just fuel, air and spark!
I hear so many folks screaming for an open 3" exhaust, then complaining about loss of torque. Go figure.

Dave
'79 Bronco
'89 Trooper
'86 Trooper II
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:35 AM
mudmonger

>>>ROLand again, in your opion, how much of a gain would be seen in the low-end on an internally stock E.F.I. 5.0 with ported manifolds? I like my headers(got maybe 15 lb/ft increase), but, in the interest of "more" torque for 5,200 lbs of steel I would try new things. I will probably come upon a rebuild in the next year and would like to make the engine better than stock from the beginning of it's new life. I realize a better option would be a 5.8, but, the fuel injected ones aren't just lying around. I do appreciate hearing differing opinions and experiences on the same subject matter. Later.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode