AOD shift rpm - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AOD shift rpm

I have an 88 with the AOD transmition. This is my first automatic tranny ever. I am wondering how to change the shift points. It shifts so early that during normal around town driving I rarely get above 2000 RPM unless I am getting into the pedal. If I step on it everything seems to work fine and I have no other tranny complaints. I have 33" tires and 4:10 gears.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AOD shift rpm

I'm still looking for some info on this one. Anyone install a shift kit or anything like that in their AOD? Did it raise the shift RPMs any? Is there a modulator valve that can be changed to make this adjustment? Any help is greatly appriciated.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 03:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey mg48, since almost a week has gone by w/no takers, I'll throw my nickel's worth in. I have had AOD's in a number of Fords & Merc's w/302's. The only complaint I have had with them was the O/D vs. 3rd gear shift point. Particularly with a carb, I felt it started to lug in O/D when coasting down then maintaining a lower speed, or acceling up gently from that lower speed. Really should have downshifted, but it held on to O/D. Fuel Injected engines gave more power at lower RPM, so it didn't seem to be as noticable there. In gentle rolling hills w/ lot of traffic, I tended to lock-out the overdrive, which solved that.

I watched the tach yesterday in my F-150 w/4R70 trans, 3.55 rear, and about 30.5 inch tires, and I'm not over 2,000 much except when pulling away from a stop. Will need to check my Bronco next time to see about it (but it has an E4OD, not AOD).

Since this is your first auto trans... do ya think that maybe you wind it up a little tighter by habit with a stick? I know I sure do in stick vehicles. But they're trying to get good gas mileage with the early shift points under lighter throttle with automatics. Just a thought.

I've only taken pans off for ATF and filter changes (whew! so far so good!).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-1999, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank. Maybe I'll try the locking out the OD for a while and see if I like that when driving in town.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode