Bronco Dies Spontaneously - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bronco Dies Spontaneously

I own an 88 Bronco, 351W. It dies on me at various times. I could be driving down the road, everything seems fine, then it dies and I have to try my hardest to get it on the side of the road before everyting locks up, it's scary sometimes. Other times I will be in traffic and it will dies and is a pain to start. Sometimes it takes 10-20 turns of the key before it finally gets going again. And some of those times that I do crank it, it sounds like something from the engine, possibly the starter but I don't think so, just keeps whirling like a humming sound?! It's crazy! Is there anyone out there that can help me figure out what these problems are? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 06:33 AM
mudmonger

Re: Bronco Dies Spontaneously

>>>This is just a guess, but, it may be the main fuel pump. This is located on the inside of the frame rail on the driver side beside the tranny. I have had problems with relays that would cause the pump to continue running when the key was off. This inturn cause flooding problems. It does make a whirring noise when running. Maybe you have a bad relay or just the pump. Hope this is useful. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I may be wrong but I don't think a constantly running fuel pump would cause flooding. Unused gas is returned to the tank via the fuel return line. The injectors control the amount of gas that would go into the cylinders. A bad injector could cause flooding if it was leaking...

This really sounds like the the fuel pump though (there's one in the tank too?). I had this same problem on my Mustang. Eventually the pump died. (165k miles on the stock pump; for reference) If it actually is a fuel delivery problem, you may want to check the fuel pressure too (while running).

Does it make the sound only while you're cranking? Or only with the key in the "run" position? Or always? I would try to determine what was making the sound and work from there. Could be an electrical problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard there are some components in the distributor that can fail intermittently when they get hot. Causes stalling, then restarts ok when it cools down. I saved a message from another Bronco user, I'll try to dig it up for you.

NormSpeed
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On my 82 I had problem with it intermittantly shutting down on me. It turned out to be some bad wires between the ignition box on the left fender well and the distributor/coil. Take a look when it dies at the tach. If it immediately drops to zero then you have an ignition problem. If it still shows some RPM as the engine winds down then it might be the fuel problems discussed above. The tach reads the coil sending out a spark. So if it is reading something and the engine is not running the problem is either down stream of the coil or a fuel problem. The ignition switch has also been known to go bad too. This can be noted by all of your accessories shutting down when the engine dies. The run contact no longer make good contact.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 10:54 AM
Taylor

Similar problem on a F-150 I had...It was an ignition module that went bad on mine. It would totally cut out and die, then would start up after it sat a while.
Be careful and try wiggling various ignition components with the engine running to see if you can get it to cut out and die.
Good Luck

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey I'm new here and just started at the recommendation of a friend...anyways
I own an 88 Bronco, 302 EFI...it was doing the same exact thing to me. It feels hesitant at stop lights and sometimes stalls, or will just stall wherever, leaving you for 20 to 30 minutes until it decides to start again. I was also told that it was the fuel injection. However, when the local friendly mechanic overheard me at the store, he recommended replacing the Ignition Control Module on the distributor. It hasn't given me any trouble since (3000 miles ago)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 02:56 AM
Mud in my Veins

wow morgan, you brought a seriously old post back from the dead! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had the same problem, i thought it was due to overheating, but the case was the fuel pump just stop pumping... in my 91 the fuel pump is located in the tank
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah...got a little anxious with the replies...but it's a good one. For $6, I'd replace the ICM before I even came close to my fuel pump, it's a good bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode