Off Roading Forums banner

Rear main oil seal

2K views 9 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a '88 Bronco, 351W, C6 trans. I'm leaking oil at the rear of the engine (my rear main seal). I've never changed one. I heard that there are two types: a two piece split seal and the other a one-piece where you have to remove the transmission. Can any one tell how I can differentiate between the two and how to remove either one? Many, many thanks in advance.
AAM

G
#2 ·
Your engine has a 1 piece full circle rear seal. To replace it you will need to remove the trans/ t-case assy (easy), or remove the engine.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G
#3 ·
Rockcrawler, thanks, once I remove the trans. & transfer case will I be able to get to it? I know the torque converter & fly wheel will have to be removed. Also, anything special about removing it and replacing it with the new seal. Do I need a seal driver? Sorry for sounding dumbfounded, but it's my first rear main seal job. I'm trying to prepare myself before I dig in. Thanks,
AAM

G
#4 ·
DON'T KNICK THE CRANK!!! There is a 'special Ford' tool but I never use it. I work it into place witch can be tricky. The last one I did needed a 'Speedy Sleave' whitch came with a special driver for the sleave and also is my new oil seal driver and works great for a cheap piece of steel. Also remove the tourqe converter with the trans so you don't make a mess.\
Are you sure it's the rear seal?? The oil pan gaskets leak bad on those engines unless you get a steel/rubber hard gasket (from Ford or poss fel-pro) also the lower intake leaks on em too at the back valley section. Just making suggestions unless your positive.??

G
#5 ·
You mentioned the oil pan gasket leaks are common. Anyway it can be changed without totaly removing the pan? My drain plug was striped before I bought the truck and I used a weird type of replacement. When it came time to change the oil part of the plug broke off and I had to lower the pan as much as I could to get the piece of metal that was sitting on the bottom of the pan. I reused the rubber seal but I'd like to replace it altogether.

Any ideas,

Alex.

G
#6 ·
Yes, the oil pan gasket can be changed without removing the pan or even jacking up the engine. I do it all the time. Just use the hard sided rubber/steal gasket from Ford or I think Fel-pro is making one now, it wont leak. Just make sure you get all the Anti-squish steal rings out with the old gasket! This goes for 4.9/5.0/ and 5.8, 460's a little diff.

Once you get the pan loose and hanging down , the old gasket out and the squish rings removed, run a rag between the pan and block to make sure the old is all gone and to get rid of excess oil. Then lift the pan up a little and slide the new gasket from rear to front, between the pan and crossmember, then work the front over the top of the pan (I put some small bolts and nuts through 2 front holes to keep it in one place while working in the back), then work the rear to the top of the pan, get the rear in place and put 2 rear bolt though the pan and gasket into the block the move to the front and do the same, finish up the rest of the bolts and your done! We do these in 30min.
The main trick is to work the gasket over the pan.
Hope this helps if you have any ques email me at [email]astein1964@uswest.net [/email]

G
#7 ·
Hello Rockcrawler, I'm not 100% sure it is the seal. I was off roading with my MotoX this last weekend and oil leak, pretty severely (from my view) from the back (bottom) of the engine. I was planning on pressure washing the bottom before starting any work. Do you have any suggestions on how to isolate the leak? It could be the pan or probably the valve cover, but it sure seem like a lot of oil. When you refer to the lower intake, are you refering to valve cover? Just to let you know your feedback is extremely helpful. Again, thanks.
AAM

G
#8 ·
Ok, best way to see if it's the rear main, pull the flexplate/tourqe converter inspection plate at the front bottom of the bellhousing. if there is alot of oil on the flexplate, most likely have a rear seal out. If most of the oil is on the outside of that inspection plate, most likely pan or other from top. Your 88 has Fuel Injection, and the intake has 2 parts an Upper (or Plenum) and Lower (like carbed engines) the lower leaks in the back sometimes. Yes I forgot about Valve covers! The covers leak too if thats whats leaking ford has some steel rubber gaskets that never leak.

I agree that you should wash the underside to determin the actual leak area. I also left out the fact I have some New Ford gaskets for the pan, rear seal, valve covers, and possibly the intake set. I'd let em go for alot cheaper than your local Ford store or even cheaper than crap aftermerket gaskets if your interested. I don't need em any more cause My 89 5.8 will not leak any more cause I already have a full set installed. These are the rubber/steal gaskets that I use at work and I have never had one leak.

If your not wrench impared and don't mind doing it all I woul suggest doing all the gaskets I have mentioned cause if it's not leaking now and has not been changed before it will leak in the future. The latest oil leak on my 89 Bronco 5.8 was the timming chain cover, pooched out the gasket at the top probibly from over-revving (6000).

Glad to help, it's fun for me.

G
#9 ·
Rockcrawler, thank you, makes alot of good sense. I'll check it out this weekend and let you know. How much for the gaskets, I live in Northern California (don't know how much it would be for UPS).
AAM

G
#10 ·
I know the pan runs $27, the valve covers $23 each and the intake set about $30 , rear seal $5-10 from Ford. I know I have more but haven't looked at them lately. I have a McCord gasket set with front cover gasket missing also. I'll gather it all up and sell the whole lot of Ford and McCord set for $35.00??? Shipping Included . Is that fair?? Make me an offer?? Email me with your address and I'll send you mine if you want em' /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
[email]astein1964@uswest.net [/email]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.