Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Faulty ABS? Light turns ON during commute... (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/10469-faulty-abs-light-turns-during-commute.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 10-26-1999 04:25 PM

Faulty ABS? Light turns ON during commute...

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I use my '94 EB Bronco for commuting in bumper to bumper traffic... the ABS light turns ON occassionally when I am at a stop for more than a few seconds. This problem occurs intermittently and the only way to reset the ABS is to turn OFF the Bronco and restart.

**DONOTDELETE** 10-26-1999 08:05 PM

Re: Faulty ABS? Light turns ON during commute...

Four wheel or rear wheel ABS???? If it's rear only you probibly have a bad RABS (RearABS) valve. If you have 4wheel ABS and the light does not come on till at a stop you probibly have a faulty dump valve in the HCU. You need to get a flashout code(RearABS) or obtain codes via OBDII connector (4WABS), to really find out the problem and solution.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 10-26-1999 09:47 PM

Hey, a fellow '94 owner! I have a '94 XLT. And have the manuals.
If your game, we can diagnose this over the internet. Or at least try all the easy stuff at a minimum.

You have the 4WABS system. It can pulse out its trouble codes for you, by blinking the ABS light on the dash, when triggered. The trouble codes will save a lot of time! Its easy!

Locate the 4WABS diagnostic connector under the hood. Driver side fender, back towards the hood. Looks like this:

________|1 2 |_
|3------------4 5 6 |
|_____________|

The connector on mine is bright orange, with an orange cover on it that says "Anti-Lock Test". Hard to miss!

Interested in pins 2 (black wire), and 5 (white wire with Light Blue tracer).
Pin 2 is a ground, and pin 5 is the diagnostic trigger input to the 4WABS controller.

Procedure:
1) Ignition OFF.
2) Jumper pin 2 to pin 5. Even a paper clip will do.
3) Ignition to RUN (not start).
4) Remove jumper after 5 or more seconds have elapsed.
6) Go in and read the codes flashed out by the ABS light.

All codes are 2 digits long. 3 to 6 seconds between digits in the same code. 15 seconds between codes.
Probably want to run this test at least twice, to get the hang of reading the codes. The 4WABS controller stores latched trouble codes for 50 ignition on-off cycles, so if it acted up recently it should have something latched in there.

Code 16 is "OK", but even getting that is significant in the troubleshooting method, if the light was coming on after you had already stopped.

Let me know, it could be zero cost to fix depending on the codes.

UncleDon

**DONOTDELETE** 10-27-1999 08:12 PM

I have a 1990 Bronco with RABS only. The same thing happens to me, but it goes off when I'm driving and not when I stop.

**DONOTDELETE** 10-29-1999 08:32 AM

B.C. - The manual I have makes a point of saying that the 87 - 92's have RABS1, and they don't have a keep-alive memory to hang on to codes, and it can't be troubleshot using the procedures of the RABS2, which my book does cover. Seems they must have had problems with people trying to troubleshoot the old one with the new procedure.

But just wild guessing on yours, it would seem it could be either a bad connection, or the pickup on top of the rear diff having trouble. Your problem would seem to be something happening when the system is just idling, as it happens when you're off the brake. It's probably a cheaper problem to fix, as it wouldn't seem to be in the hydraulic unit ('cuz yer off the brake, and have been for a while). But I wouldn't replace ANYTHING without having the proper procedure, running the tests, and troubleshooting it down first.

Sorry I can't help, you need a manual for one of the years 87 through 92. UncleDon

**DONOTDELETE** 10-31-1999 02:27 AM

Thanks though.