302 idle problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-1999, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

302 idle problems

I thought I cured my erratic idle with a new EGR valve, but now it's acting up again. Stalls once after startup, then restarts fine. Sometimes stalls when I go from drive to neutral. Hunts all over for the right idle speed when warming up. I recall on the old board someone cured a similar problem. Help! 86 302 F.I.
Norm

NormSpeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-1999, 01:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 302 idle problems

Basicaly there are two sensors that control your idle. First is the throttle position sensor, this one is harder to replace so I'd go with the air by-pass sensor first. Anyway this one is the one that usually goes and has the caracteristics you mentioned. I had the same problem and when I changed the ABV sensor the truck purred like a kitten.

Hope this helps,

Alex

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-1999, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, the ABV is the one right up near the air intake,where the air hoses attach, right?

NormSpeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-1999, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your problem could be the IAC(Idle Air Control) valve (or IAV as it was called), as a matter of fact my '89 Bronco had an idle problem when I bought it that was caused by the IAC. I removed it cleaned it with some carb spray, reistalled it, and that was 4 years ago with no problems since.

Now what I've seen at the shop, especially with the 5.0 is the upper intake working loose just enough to let the gasket suck in. I've seen this more than the IAC. The inake will not appeer to be loose, but take some carb spray and spray along the upper inake gasket, any change in RPM's will tell the tale.

Also could be the MAP/BARO sensor reading wrong. but seems more like a vaccume leak to me.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-1999, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's the one near the intake. First try cleaning it like they mention. If that doesn't work, (it didn't in my case) make sure you get the new one from a Ford Parts Counter. I bought an OEM aftermarket sensor and it didn't last very long before the problem started again. When I put in the Motorcraft one the problem disappeared and that was two years ago, the OEM lasted about 6 months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode