Oww!! What the heck?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-1999, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oww!! What the heck??

Owww! My '94 Bronco has 4 steel cone-shaped pegs that stick down from the bottom of the frame. The pegs are about 1/2 inch diameter, tapering to about 3/8 inch at the end, and are about an inch or more long. There is one peg at each wheel. The pegs in the back are ahead of the wheel, right by the fuel filter. The pegs have a rivet head on the top side that holds them in the frame. I assume it came that way from the factory, as they are riveted.

Any idea what these @#*%*#@! things are for? (other than trying to poke my eyes out?) The ones in the rear are particularly nasty due to their placement! Were these used to align frame rails in the factory for welding, or what? Any ideas? Does everybody have these on their late Bronco's too?

Thanks. UncleDon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-1999, 10:58 AM
TEX

Re: Oww!! What the heck??

<font color=purple> Sounds like bumpstops to me. Keeps the axle housing from slamming into the frame. Let me know if I'm on the wrong track. I know next to nothing about late-model Fords. But, the description fit. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-1999, 11:00 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> OOPS. Just re-read your post. 1/2" diameter. Nope, that's not at all what I was talking about. Sorry for even saying anything. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-1999, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hope that someone can tell you. I just replaced the rear in my 88 and busted my head on one of the rear ones. They don't look like they server any useful purpose to me.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-1999, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have hit myself on those nasty things for many years, I was told by the Ford guys that they were used for setup in the factory when the trucks were built, not a good idea for us who like to work on our trucks.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-1999, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are alignment pins used at the factory when your vehicle was being assembled, so the frame and powertrain would not fall off the assembly line.

Ford guy who dabbles in Jeeps and Suzukis
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-1999, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm to hear that I'm not the only one with the *%#@* things, but that you run into 'em as often as I do! I guess with frame locating pegs that big, Ford could restart the line after an earthquake, and not have to pick up off the floor!

UncleDon

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 08:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

quick action of the cut off wheel took care of mine on my 83' after I "cracked" my knee aganst one.....

Do'n it with only 6 cylinders!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode