Clunking noise from rear axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-1999, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clunking noise from rear axle

When I come to a complete stop and when I start to drive after being stationary I get a clunking sound. My local shop tells me that this is caused by the rear axle rotating sightly and causing the rear springs to bind when I stop and to release when I move away. They say it is normal in late model full size Fords with short wheel bases.

SOLUTION 10/19/99
I greased the slip joint on the rear drive shaft and replaced the boot. The problem has gone away, at least for now. Thanks for all of your input.

Is there anything I can do about this. Is it normal?

Everything on the vehicle is stock.

David Hope
Springfield, Missouri
95 Bronco XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-1999, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Clunking noise from rear axle

The clunk in my 88 turned out to be the slip-joint in the driveshaft. A local shop made a new shaft up and no more clunk. Set your parking brake and put your trans in neutral. If you can see any movement when you twist the two sections of the slip-joint, it may be worn. This causes a bind then release, which causes the clunk.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-1999, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My clunk started a whole chain of events....Transfercase rear output shaft rebuild, new driveshaft (slip yoke went bad), and u-joints. I do have a little clunk left, by observation I conclude it is 'spring, or axle wrap' , traction bars etc can help, as can a thicker leaf pack. I'm going with a bigger leaf pack.
Good luck,
Rick-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the same problem on my '90 F.S. and the dealer told me the same thing - the rear springs bind. I've never heard anyone in these posts find that that was the problem. I almost totally eliminated the clunk by greasing the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft. It would momentarily bind, then the shaft would pull out of the t-case slightly causing the clunk. Maybe there shouldn't be that much play in my transfer case, but I can't afford to have it torn apart right now. In addition, on later Broncs and F-150's I think the slip yoke has a greasable collar with a zerk fitting. Good luck - Matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 12:16 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Same problem on my 95, and it is bugging me to death! I will check the driveshaft as others have suggested. If anyone else finds anything out, let us all know.

David
Davids 4x4 Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 04:10 PM
broncoman

Yep, sounds familiar. Have '95 with clunking in rear. Will have to check my driveshaft for grease nipple this weekend, didnt think I had one. Had mechanic look at my driveshaft and said everything was fine and working well, no worn ujoints or anything. Madening!!

We'll solve this mystery soon enough

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This may or may not help but you could try mounting a Torque Rod along side your rear shaft which will help reduse the A-Wrap also?
Just an idea?

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]"Go Solid or Go Home"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just some further info. My driveshaft slip-joint did NOT have a grease fitting in it from the factory. It did have a collapsible boot covering the slip. The guy that made the new shaft said that he believes that they cause even more trouble because of the water that they trap. The new shaft has a better seal and DOES have a grease fitting.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-1999, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if this will help but on my 89 FS Bronco I had the same clunk going into reverse or drive. I went nuts trying to figure it out and almost gave up. I found the problem because I got upset while under the truck and hit the drive shaft with the palm of my hand. Thats when I noticed that my double carden joint was bad. Just after my t-case I have 2 u-joints and the part that holds them together (double carden joint) had a lot of play. In between the 2 joints there is a ball and spring that wore down. I had to get the replacement from Ford and it was pretty expensive. Ever since then I have not heard or felt the clunk. It also help with a vibration I had at certain speeds.

Good Luck,
Alex

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-1999, 03:09 AM
mudmonger

>>>I have seen this to be more of a problem on auto tran rigs than manuals, but, have you checked for slop in the rear gear set? If the gears were set a little tight at the factory they could be wearing out a little early. The auto has more play than the manual so it magnafies the clunk caused by a worn gear set. Just put it in neutral(engine off), e-brake on, block the front wheels(safety), and see how much the rear shaft rotates at the differential. If it is a small clunk and only a degree or two, no problem. Bigger clunk and approaching 10 degrees(or more) rotation, then you may need to have the rear end looked at. Just an idea. Hope you find your answer. Later.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode