Replacing Tranny Fluid - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Replacing Tranny Fluid

Hello,
I recently bought my Bronco used some 10,000 miles ago and now I want to replace my automatic transmission fluid (E4OD) before it gets to late. I have changed engine oil by myself before but I have tried to do transmission fluid. I heard it involves removing the pan and it can get pretty messy. I am currently in college so I am kind of limited with tools, time and a place 'to do it.' I think its best that I pay someone else to change it for me, and then not worry about it till another 30,000 miles later....

About how much should I expect to pay to get the transmission fluid replaced?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Replacing Tranny Fluid

I think $50 is about the right price, maybe $10 more if extra fluid required. I would call around the reputable places.

In fact, I go to the dealer now. Had a bad experience at a Goodyear AAA aproved place. They forgot to tighten the bolts that hold
the filter in place. Tranny still worked, but after a while it could not pick up enough fluid out of the pan and bagan slipping I did the job myself a few months later, thinking new fluid might help, and found the loose bolts. Tightened them up and it worked just fine. I put in a drain dole in the pan when I had it apart - B&M has a drain plug kit.

Do it yourself is not that hard, but you need patience. Another way is to get a cheap electric vacuum pump designed for changing engine oil through the dipstick tube. These work pretty well. To get more fluid out, you need to drain the torque converter, or do the vacuum out 2 or 3 days in a row.

MarkT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-1999, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Replacing Tranny Fluid

I am fixing to change my fluid on my truck with the e40d. I am in college too. I am going to wait till I go home where I have tools. It is not that hard to do. Take the pan off then filter, then drain the torque converter. Do not tighten the pan bolts too tight though(not very tight at all) then put 5 or 6 quarts back in. Crank it and pour alot more until it gets full. It is crucial that you not overfill it though. What year is your bronco? If you have any questions just post back and I can go into further detail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode