Gas Tank Leaks or was it overfilled? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gas Tank Leaks or was it overfilled?

I just noticed my tank leaks... I filled it 3/4 full yesterday and today there was a good size puddle of gas underneath. Although my truck is an 86, I find this hard to believe since the tank is only 2 years old. Could the tank have rusted out that quickly??? Sometimes I have trouble filling up at pumps because they pump out faster than my tank can take in... i.e. the pump "clicks" off like its full all the time, so I don't know if it really is full or not without checking the guage. My next question.... could I have over filled the tank? .. and the guage be broken? I have had to replace the sending unit to my oil guage... is it likely that the sending unit to the gas guage is bad also and I just overfillled it? I do notice that the guage hasn't been entirely acurate lately... it will go from full to 1/2 in a couple days and then hang around 1/4 for a long time... I really don't want ot have to buy a new tank! Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 06:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Gas Tank Leaks or was it overfilled?

Since the tank is relatively new, it likely has not rusted out. Perhaps there is a bad hose or loose fitting. This may allow the tank to drain or syphon out.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would think your tank is find. As MarkT stated you may have a leak in the hose somewhere. Can you tell exactly where the leak is coming from? ie: near the filler neck or the fuel lines? My 86 has the same problem when filling up, it constantly clicks off so I just move it down a few clicks and that seems to help although it slows the process down a lot. My gauge is fast to 1/2 tank then slow to 1/4 and fast again to empty. I've had my truck for so long I just know how much gas I have by the way it the gauge works. Good luck.
Kris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless you have bashed it on something, 2 years is new enough that it shouldn't be leaking. Check your fill line going into the tank. On my 88 that is the only line that enters the tank at or below 3/4. I've had to replace my tank twice. The original lasted just over 5 years and the replacement just over 4. Just put the second in last year. The way that they are mounted into the skid plate tends to hold water and dirt. Used tanks are hard to find around here and the replacements are about $165.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The sending unit workes on resistance and the unit does sort of wear out. I have the same problem with my gauge and the only remedy is to change the sending unit thats in the tank. I figure its easier to just deal with it.

If you want to know when you need gas, fill it up and take note of the odometer and let it run till its empty then note the mileage (before you push it to the gas station) before you run this many miles again fill it up.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ford has a service bulletin on it. There is an overflow line above the tank that dries out. Sometimes you can smell the gas as you get out of the car. You would need to lower the tank to replace it...I can smell mine, just haven't gotten around to fixing it. Also, if your slow fill problem came up after you replaced the tank, it sounds like one or more lines have gotten pinched or kinked when the tank was installed.
Norm

NormSpeed
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes! I think that might be it... I do recall smelling gas a few times earlier... Do you know where I can find more info on this Service Bulliten? Ford Dealer maybe? Or on the Internet?

Thanks to everyone for the help!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 01:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's a Ford recall item: Recall 90E2-cracked fuel vapor hoses on certain 1986 and 1987 F-Series and Bronco trucks. It's a rubber line going from the vapor valve on the tank to the metal tube leading to the carbon canister. I have a copy. If you have a fax I can send it to you from work. It's 5 pages.
Norm ([email protected])

NormSpeed
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-1999, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Definately the Vapor line.. hahaha.. when I bought my 86 Bronco 6 months back... it got towed from the lot.. I thought it was stolen.. but Cops told me it was towed and I was ticketed for a safety violation...... So $150 later (ticket and price of new hose.... ) it was fixed.. I replaced the fuel sending unit to....

Uzi..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode