E40D woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 12:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

E40D woes

Hey all, the E40D transmission in my 1990 Bronco is begining to worry me. Sometimes when I shift into Drive or Reverse the trans. makes a loud clunking noise,shifts very hard and stiff and the entire truck jerks or surges. This only happens sometimes,and it doesnt sound good. Whats the reason for these hard stiff shifts into Drive or Reverse? Someone told me it could be something about a carrier bearing being worn? The truck has 125,000 miles on it and was bought used. During an engine overhaul, my mechanic says the tranny has been rebuilt. ALSO, between the oil pan and the trans pan on the trans itself is a small hole that looks like there should be a cap or plug. Its about 2 or 3 inches big. There is also some fluid SLOWLY dripping out of it (like a drop every two hours) There is ample trans fluid always because i check it once a week. What is the hole for????? HELP MEEEEEEEEEE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

thanx
roland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: E40D woes

Well, I think I can help you out on the hole. I wonder if you are describing the hole at the bottom edge of the trans bellhousing. It would usually have a rubber access plug in it, and is about, say, 1 1/2 inches in diameter. It is the access to the drain plug on the torque converter ( the big fluid-filled donut that multiplies torque, allowing among other things, auto vehicles to tow more than stick shift vehicles). It also is the connection that slips when you are stopped and the engine is running (a fluid centrifugal clutch). Some fluid there may say you have a slow converter leak, or a slow front trans seal leak.
Maybe others can comment on leak possibilities, and the shift quality. But sometimes, trans'es just do clunk into gear sometimes.

Whadd'ya all think?
UncleDon

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: E40D woes

The hole you describe is likely the torque converter drain cover....you can get a new plug from Ford stock at a dealer for about 5 bucks. Dont know what the leak could be from, but from sounds of it, I'm thinking a couple of drops is the least of your worries. Your banging and clunking symptoms sound similar to what I have had to tolerate on and off (between rebuilds) since 14k miles on my 95 w/ E4OD. Try to find a competent transmission shop and get it looked at....beats having no reverse and sappy OD when you are 200 miles from home in the middle of deer season. The E4 is notorious for this problem - I know 3 other guys that have experienced the same problems...feels like a sledgehammer when you go from Park to Reverse and the whold damn truck jumps an inch. 2 different Ford master techs and their regional engineer still cant tell us what the problem is...they rebuild them and they work for a while, then after so many miles, we're back to square one....fortunately I'm not out a dime due to warranty, but thats beside the point. I'm hoping some of you guys have solved this this problem with aftermarket products and can tell us unfortunate souls running Ford E4 components there is hope....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode