lazy charging system - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-1999, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

lazy charging system

i have an 85 bronco with a EFI 302. my prroblem is i have 12.5 volts not running. running i have 13.8 volts. then if i turn on my headlights it drops down to 13.2 volts then drops some more to 12.6 volts. i replaced and propertly tenchioned the belt checked and cleaned all connections, checked the fueseable link and related wireing . and replaced the regulater a few weeks ago. my altinator is a pepboys reman from 2 years ago and my battery and cables are a year old. i am thinking i may have burned out the altnator with all my lights. i have 220 watts of driving and 110 watt fog lights. 150 watt back up lights. i rember when i turned on my headlights my charge gage would move up. then when i turned on some more lights it would go up some more. now it moves up a little bit with headlights, stop with more on. and only move up at highway speed.
in real need of help
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-1999, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: lazy charging system

Jim,
The easiest and quickest is probably to take your alternator to a parts store that can test them. Have them explain to you what their doing every step of the way, so you can figure out if THEY know what they're doing! Some background info:Years ago, General Motors Delco alternators had a spot on the back or side of them that you could stick a screwdriver into to "full field" them for troubleshooting. The screwdriver would short to ground part of the field winding circuit (taking the regulator circuits out of the picture) and run full field current on the alternator. With full field, the alternator would make as much power as it was capable of at that shaft RPM. So voltage should go up, lights get brighter, and engine load down a bit more. At that time, FORD didn't have anything handy like that. Somewhere, I remember reading about that again in relation to FORD. You might want to see if you have one. It was obvious... a tab sticking out at the bottom of a cutout. Not like poking a screwdriver through a vent slot or anything like that. By the way, working voltage for lead-acid battery cells is 1.85 v at the bottom of charge, 2.2 v at the top. Measured with a good voltmeter, after the battery has "rested" (say 1/2 to 1 hour no current in our out). Multiply per-cell voltage times 6 for the standard 6-cell 12v battery. Also, good charging voltage on a fully-charged battery is roughly 2.35v per cell. I wondered... with all of the lights you've got, Jim, can they see you from the Space Shuttle? Hope this helped, UncleDon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode