Towing tips - 95 Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-1999, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Towing tips - 95 Bronco

Stats: 95 Bronco 4x4, 5.0, automatic transmission. Will be towing 16' double axle trailer (one with elec. brakes) and my Toyota truck.

Any worth-while tips on towing? Already adding frame mounted class III hitch, electric trailer brakes, as well as planning to add a tranny cooler.
I have heard that synthetic in the tranny is good?
Any thoughts on the B&M electronic shift switch kit?

Thanks!

David
[email protected]
http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-1999, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Towing tips - 95 Bronco

Take the auto trans out of overdrive!! if you tow in od you'll burn up your e4od in time

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-1999, 03:22 PM
mudmonger

>>>>>You might want to consider adding a transmission cooler to extend the life of the tranny. Also, shut the OD off when towing. You may want to consider using a class IV hitch if you are going to tow a car hauler a lot. Hope this helps. Later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-1999, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm researching towing a camper 18-20' with a '93 5L auto 4x4 Bronco too. So I'll be interested in the responses you get.

My suggestion is to look into load-distributing and antisway hitches. Do I understand yu are going to pull a camper, and a SUV behind THAT? In what states is that legal??

If so, I expect you are going to have serious sway problems, especially given the short wheelbase of the Bronco.

The best hitch is said to be the Hensley Arrow (http://www.hensleymfg.com/ ) $2500 but said to be worth every penny
in the posts I have read, as it eliminates sway completely with just a big camper in tow ( I can't speak for a dual tow).

The second best is said to be the Equal-i-zer (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/home.html)

Can you tell me more about the B&M shift kit (is this the Banks Transmission Kit?); Or point me to some info on it? This is something I would like to know more about as I have seen a number of posts saying that a tranny cooler, synthetic oil and a shift kit are all very helpful with larger tows. I dont really understand how the shift kits work, except that they smooth shifting in general, and I don't know what kit I would need to work with my transmission.

What is a good buy on a tranny cooler?

Thanks.

Good luck, Charlie

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-1999, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Woah.... Not a camper, just a double axle trailer with my Toyota on top[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

As to a shift kit - there are 2 kinds. One is an internal rebuild kit to firm up the shifts. the other - the B&M one - is an electronic device that wires into the tranny wiring harness and allows you to manipulate (so they claim) the shift points with 3 different settings. Check out Summit Racing, that is where I saw it.
Not sure of a good buy on a tranny cooler, I will let you know if I find one.

David
[email protected]
David's 4x4 Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-1999, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't expect to go very fast. I have towed a two axle with an FJ40 on top(close to 7500 lbs.) with my 5L Bronco and it takes a while to get up to speed(such as it is!) but I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the handling. Balanced so there was maybe 2-3 hundred pounds tongue weight, I was very confortable with it. As has been stated, do not ever drive in overdrive while towing, even downhill. Sucks to rebuild an E4OD!

Mark Lockwood
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 05:17 PM
TEX

<font color=purple> 7,500 pounds? Are you sure. Most 16-18' tandem axle tagalongs weigh 1,000-1,600 pounds. That would make your FJ about 6K. I yanked a legit 6.5-7K (full-size Blazer with one-ton drivetrain, a big-block, & 38.5's, on my 1,400 pound trailer) behind my 350-powered Z71 once & can tell you that I was grossly under-trucked for that task. And a 5L Bronco is definitely a step down from my setup (less motor AND wheelbase). A "sensible" max for a Bronco is probably closer to 5,000 lbs, more or less. A "normal" trailer & your Toy should put you right up around what I'd consider a "sensible" max load. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 07:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A hint - switch your tranny fluid to Mobil 1 ATF. Cost about $4 a quart, but well worth it as it will not burn up.
Add another tranny cooler in series anyway.

Ford rated their broncos at 7500 to 8000 pounds load for towing. If trailer has no brakes, rating is 1500 pounds.
I agree, 7500 is mighty high. However, back in 1965
I had towed a 10,000 pound trailer 400 miles with a big Ford car with 292 engine / 2-speed ford-o-matic.
It had a big reinforced hitch welded to the frame. It did just fine taking everything slow and easy.

MarkT

No tranny or engine problems, ran premium fuel, trailer had good brakes.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 11:09 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> In reference to "tow ratings", I think the majority of truck manufacturers are grossly overrating their light-duty trucks (1/2 ton full-size & mini-trucks). 8,000 behind an Expedition - PLEASE! Ever see the way they squat when pulling a 4,500 lb. travel trailer? 7,000 behind a Dakota - not if I'm on the same road as you, I hope. 5,000 behind a Grand Cherokee - are you kidding me? 8,000 behind a 1/2 ton Chevy - I have a 1/2 ton Chevy; wouldn't even think of trying that on the interstate. I think it's sad that Chevy has to up their rating by 500 lbs just to beat Ford, then Ford ups theirs 500 over Chevy & pretty soon, it's way out of control. If your trailer is much over 5,000 pounds, you need to start thinking seriously about heavy 3/4 ton or 1-ton. Just $.02 worth from someone who shares the road with you. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode