Chassis Tools - Follow Up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Chassis Tools - Follow Up

OK,
Finally got around to purchasing a much needed drop pitman arm.
I'm also, going to be doing all the worn out front end components at the same time.
I'm looking at these 2 tools from Harbor Freight. Are these what I need?
I've seen a couple of ball-joint R&R topics: here and here
This is what Harbor Freight's tool looks like, which seems to be what the articles are recommending: da tool

Now the pitman arm, after doing some searching in this site appears to be a bear![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Can I use one of my varios ball-joint, or tie-rod removal pickle forks?
Or, is this tool better? da udder tool

Hmmmm, hope this question isn't too long.
I've always taken the knuckles in and had someone else do the ball-joint R&R, but I'd like to do this myself for a change.
Plus as an added bonus, I'll have another tool that the wife won't know what to do with![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

PS, still working on a solution to my windshield washer problem.
At least we haven't had the dreaded freezing fog lately.

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Re: Chassis Tools

Most chain auto suppliers will loan the tools for nothing, I saw the $30.00 ball-joint press that harbor freight sells, its *NOT* the one their using in big broncos illustration though. Thats their $60.00 model (forged). The $30.00 one is plate steel painted red, not sure how durable it really is but i had been eyeing that tool already for the day i have got to go thru this.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have change all the tie rods and the pitman arm on my 82. The tie rods came off easily with a pickle fork and a gentle tap from a sledge hammer. Intense beating with a framing hammer does not work as well, but eventually will get them.

The pitman arm was a real mother. I bought a Harbor/Northern adjustable pitman arm remover. It failed miserably, just pulling apart and slipping off, both on the truck and on the floor. I finally got it off with some country boy rigging and my 12 ton press. I would recommend giving it a couple tries with the proper sized non adjustable remover tool, and if it will not come off, carrying it to a machine shop with a better press set up or heavy duty puller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On second look, that pitman arm tool might be a lot better than mine. I got the one where the arms slide in and out in slots, and are held by one bolt each side. It simply spread apart and fell off every time, and I had to grind the jaws thin to fit between the arm and the steering box case. Yours has a screw to keep the jaws from spreading, and a much larger forcing screw. I vote you try it. If it works, please post it, because I will get one for next time.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 12:08 AM
Shilo

WD40, da tool from HF (bj press for $54.99 is exactly what I would recommend, and is essentially what is pictured in the first tech article (I might *personally* know the author ) Now, the pitman arm can be a beeeatch. You can buy a cheapie puller, but the one pictured, da other tool, is a super-sweet model. The problem w/the cheaper pitman arm pullers is that the jaws WILL start to spread if the arm is too stubborn. But you could probably get away w/a cheapie (I have), avail at Autozone or HF for $10-20. A pickle fork would probably never work, while some gear pullers might work, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
BTW, the ball joint press is super-sweet for changing u-joints in a controlled manner, ie no hammering/banging which sends needles everywhere. I carry it on the trail for this purpose.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Mud in my Veins

I bought the cheapie HF pitman arm puller back when I changed my steering box and it worked fine. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but I thought it was like $8. I DID soak it with Liquid Wrench for a few days...

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 12:30 AM
Mud in my Veins

mine also came off no problem with the cheap autozone borrow tool. i had to cock it at an angle so it got a good bite but once it tightened up i just hit the side with a hammer and it popped right off.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 02:10 PM

My pitman arm was a bitch to get off too. I first rented a pickle fork from Schucks, which was too small and I actually broke it. Then I bought a Craftsmen 3-ton puller, which didn't work either. Eventually, I went to a rental place that had a HUGE pickle fork that finally got the pitman arm off. You should have seen me bash the pitman arm all over the concrete after I got it off. Anyways, it looks like everyone has had different expierences, good luck.

90 BRONCO Custom

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Follow Up...Cause Havack likes it!

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'd thought I'd follow up since <font color=blue>havack</font color=blue> gets so excited when he sees one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Got the ball joint tool and the pitman arm puller yesterday.
Very nice units!
Looks like it'll be a piece of cake to do the ball joints, and as an added bonus,
I can use that tool for u-joints, instead of the vice and a gajillion different sockets.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
The pitman arm puller slips right on, but it looks like I'll have to disconnect the shocks and spring
to lower the axle housing(TTB) a bit to clear the long center bolt on the puller.
Maybe I can get a shorter one, but this town's not likely to have a 3/4 X 16mm thread bolt.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I'll be starting to rip things apart Sunday afternoon.
Yes I'll take plenty of pics.
Probably start my own home page for a change, so I don't tie up the forum.
<font color=green>Any suggestions on where to load the pics?
Especially a place where I can add text and decent explanations?</font color=green>

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 08:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Pics w/text

The site I use allows as much text as I've ever tried to type. And I haven't hit any limits on quantity of pics or albums. They DO limit the UL to a few hundred K per pic (like maybe 500K???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]), but you can UL like 5 pics at a time.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode