Spitting and Sputtering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Larnach

Spitting and Sputtering

I've been having problems since I installed a new set of Accel injectors (24lbs).

This is my 88 (351W EFI) and I finally got a recording of it sputtering at idle, it only happens when you tap the throttle. It seems to just dive down in RPM then try to jump back up, it sometimes dies as you will hear in the sound file, and then its a pain in the royal you know what to start. It also smokes enough to see, but its not blue smoke, its a grey, fire like smoke when you start it but goes away after driving it about 30 yards.

There is also a black liquid (oil? dirty fuel?) that spits out of the exhaust and the exhaust has an extremely rancid odor (not like an egg odor though), the cat's feel hollow, like there is nothing left and since I have no carpet or anything in at the moment, I really notice a huge woooshhhhhhhh air sound (air injection?) when I stomp on the throttle, but it sounds open when I'm just feathering it down the road.

http://www.angelfire.com/al4/larnach/BroncoCough.ram

Just copy and paste it in your browser.

new Accel 24lb injectors
new Distributor cap (STANDARD)
new Distributor Rotor (STANDARD)
new Plugs (AutoLite)
new Plug Wires (STANDARD)
new Air Filter (Fram)
new Intake, Throttle Body, IAC, gaskets {Victor)
cleaned IAC valve (if its still working)
cat's have over 180,000 miles on them.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spitting and Sputtering

Did you change all the other items before you changed the injectors? Did you run it just before you changed the injectors? Check fuel filter and pressure.Gray/blue smoke usually indicates burning oil. Did it smoke before the injector change?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why did you go with the larger injectors? You may be running too rich now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Larnach

I really didn't notice much smoke before the injector change. The reason for the 24lbs, because it was listed under stock for a Ford Bronco from Accel, and 8 for $230 you can't beat, especially when stock replacement is $70 a peice! Also I had ordered ones from Summit, unfortunatly USPS lost my damn money order so I had to put a trace and stop on it, that took several weeks, then I finally got something saying it hadn't been cashed, so I returned that and got a refund check, then I ordered throught Jeg's. A month without the intake manifold on, so I took what I could get, unfortunatly it was the wrong damn part it seems.

I heard somebody say that the stock ones are 19lbs, anybody?

All the components were installed before the injectors.

Thanks

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 04:54 PM

When I replaced two of my injectors with fords they gave me 19lbers and said that was stock!

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Larnach

Hmm, great!!! *sarcasm* looks like another $230 to go I just got a hold of the closest salvaged bronco which is 40 miles away, the drivers sound lower seat belt is $45, the dash bezels are $45, looks like Im stuck without carpet, door panels, and a headliner.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

5.0L Injector size

I didn't read all these pages, but...

This one says "85-Up Chev. 305 TPI, 86-Up Ford 5.0 Car and Truck 19 LB/HR 350hp".
This one says 24 lb/hr is for supercharged engines with revised calibrations.
This one has a chart that doesn't seem to agree with the other sites.
This one says 19 lb/hr.
This one discusses when to go bigger.
This one says 19 lb/hr.
This one says 19 lb/hr and mentions that they're 16 Ohms.
This one says the originals are 19 lb/hr.
This one says "Fuel injectors are color coded. The color of the injector at the electrical connector determines lbs. per hour. 14 lb/hr are Gray, 19 lb/hr are Orange Yellow, 24 lb/hr are Blue, 30 lb/hr are Red, and 36 lb/hr are Dark Blue."
This one mentions an e-bay sale of Mustang 19 lb/hr injectors.

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:59 PM
Veteran

I got a replacement seat belt complete from Discount auto parts(local bargain chain) new for around $15.00. Latch looks identical to the original.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Larnach

Yeah I just got home 4 minutes to late for an auction I bookmarked, $30 for 6, low use Ford injectors from a Mustang. 19# per hour too, now all I can find aint much

This sap is selling one fuel injector for a Bronco for $145! What a deal eh?

I have a lot of shopping around to do, there's just a plethora of stuff to get done, I'm redoing my entire interior with sound deadener, jute padding, carpetting, and whatnot and I'm still short some parts. I really wish I didn't rip that front carpet apart when I removed it.

Thanks again for all the help people.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 5.0L Injector size

my 93 351w has orange injectors... sounds like you need to get a supercharger to balance out the bigger injectors... mmmmmm, forced induction :-)

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode