Where's the oil getting out from ?!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Where\'s the oil getting out from ?!!!!

I'm losing oil which is collecting on top of the timing chain cover

Those little recesses on the left and right sides of the top of the timing chain cover, just below the intake manifold, keep filling up with oil. It takes weeks, but they refill themselves regularly.

I've got brand new FelPro Permadry Plus valve cover gaskets and they ain't leaking or wet above, below, back or front. The air cleaner box seems to soak an oil breather filter every 2000 miles, I change the oil and filter then too.

Where the heck is the oil getting out of ?? Could it be the dist shaft O-ring ? or the lower intake to block gasket ? The new longblock 302 was put in 3 years and 20,000 miles ago.

????????Sixlitre????????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:45 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Where\'s the oil getting out from ?!!!!

timing chain cover gasket? if thats the case, you might check your oil for coolant and vice versa. as you may or may not remember, that's my least favorite gasket on the whole truck ;-)

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

My vote goes to the intake-to-block gasket - the little wiggly strip that runs between the heads. They never seem to seal.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree with steve, i always end up collecting some amount of oil exactly where u describe with a leaking intake manifold gasket. try to find a kit with ruibber strips for the friont and back if u can, as i find they seal much better then that cork crap. i know the last victor-rienz gasket set i used had rubber pieces as opposed to the cork.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:48 PM
Shilo

I second, er third, Steve and Dominic's replies. I have the exact same problem, actually thought it was rare - but it's good to know I'm not alone! Has been that way for the last 40k, I'm too lazy to fix it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:57 PM
Veteran

Sixlitre, although i would have to agree with the rest as to the intake end pieces especially if they are from a cheaper gasket set or not sealed properly in the corner with RTV, i have always used FEL-PRO intake sets on 5.0s and have never had one leak, even my current motor with the block decked and heads cut 015".

However i did have that o-ring leak at one time when it was dry rotted , might want to at least check it first since its so cheap anyways...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 05:14 PM

I also agree with steve but would like to add another possibility. I had a leak like that on my old motor turned out to be the o-ring on the distributor.JMO

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again guys

the leak isn't that bad, but the recess will refill itself within a week after being wiped up. I will try the O-ring first though I suspect it's the upper intake to block gaskets. Who knows ? Maybe I'll get lucky.

Say, have you guys ever tossed those front and rear intake corks completely and just used a thick bead of silicone instead ? My smallblock Mopars were notorious for leaking there and I did that trick, which my GM buddies put me onto, and it worked.

I really hope it isn't the timing chain cover gasket, though I wonder how it could be as it is clearly leaking from the top and those usually leak from the bottom.

Sixlitre

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:51 PM
Pooh-Bah

Say, have you guys ever tossed those front and rear intake corks completely and just used a thick bead of silicone instead?
Yep. Worked like a charm.
I don't remember exactly which RTV I used, (I think it was the blue stuff) but I put 1/4" bead at the front and back, torqued the manifold on,
and let it set-up overnight before putting any fluids in.
And just because I'm so a*n*a*l, I cut off the excess the next morning. Oh it looks so pretty.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
I believe my factory ('85) shop manual recommends that procedure in lieu of using those gaskets.

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey WD40, do you know where I can get a factory shop manual for my 86? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode