Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Cracked Exhaust Manifold (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/101753-cracked-exhaust-manifold.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 01-07-2002 11:04 PM

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

I was just wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions as to how to fix a passenger side cracked exhaust manifold on a 90 351W. The crack is just in front of the #4 cylinder and it runs about half way around the diameter from the bottom back side to the top. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

~Mike

Sixlitre 01-08-2002 12:22 AM

Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold

You can drill two holes

each just past where the crack ends and filet grind a grove all along the crack and send it in for TIG oven welding or......... You could call the nearest wrecker and have him hunt you down a used one on-line. Chances are good he'll even install it for you for a little extra tacked onto the negotiated price.

Deal goes like this " $40 for the manifold". You reply "I was hoping for $25, say can you guys handle installation too?". He replies "yes we can, tell you what, $75.00 installed". You say "deal, I'll be right over on pay day".

Sixlitre

muddybronco 01-08-2002 12:53 AM

or you could grab a set of cheap headers if that option doesn't work out. speaking of which, my pass. gasket appears to be leaking, am i gonna have problems with broken bolts and such when i pull it off or does that usually go smoothly? if it's going to be probematic then i wont even worry about it. and does anybody make a cheap header for a 93 351 with the o2 hole? i might as well upgrade while i've got them off.

http://home.off-road.com/~mud/hi5med.jpg
S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com

Steve83 01-08-2002 01:35 AM

Re: moving bolts

BRONCOMANIA 01-08-2002 07:29 AM

We used to repair manifolds when i worked in the machine shop (cast iron spray weld). Its an acetylene torch with a powdered metal resevoir mounted on it. Works great if you preheat the work first but anytime you weld a manifold, everything twists so you then need to resurface it or you`ll have a leak.

$50.00 to weld $25.00 to resurface, might as well get a junk yard piece or a new one since they offer new castings in the aftermarket now.

Muddy, you could get Summit racings #G9036 Shorty headers. Should bolt right up and i believe it comes with a Oxy. sensor attachment(might want to check first though) for $160. They say smog-legal so it must have some provision.

Shovel 01-08-2002 02:11 PM

Hmmm... sounds familiar. I had the same problem until one day when I was trying to remove my muffler. Somehow the exhaust manifold ripped off instead of the muffler. I replaced mine with FlowTech headers. They really haven't made much of a noticeable difference, except they make it impossible to remove the spark plugs and wires without haveing to remove the headers.

http://www.engr.orst.edu/~kime/images/Bronco51.jpg
90 BRONCO Custom

Shilo 01-08-2002 02:44 PM

This is a ridiculoulsy common problem on stock Ford truck manifolds. My driver's side manifold on my '90 developed a crack which eventually spread all the way around. When I removed it it came off clean in two pieces. I got some manifolds for free from a buddy who had installed headers. As for leaks/gaskets, at the advice of an experienced mechanic I took the new manifold to my local machine shop and had the mounting surface planed. No gasket, no leaks. As mentioned above, was about $25 in labor.

BRONCOMANIA 01-08-2002 08:37 PM

Common to fords? Actually we repaired more GM and japanese exhaust manifolds than anything else out there...

Quite possible the cause of cracking in various makes depends on the different climates from other locations i suppose...

**DONOTDELETE** 01-09-2002 09:56 PM

This is not real common in my experience, and I would just go hunt another one in a junkyard. I would take the old one with me, since many of these look alike but are different. '

Been there, done that.

I agree that headers are a lot easier to install, remove, maintain, etc, also.