radius arms..?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

radius arms..??

my friend has a 1981 bronco and i have a 1985 my cousin got stuck in some mud in his "2"- wheel drive truck he called us to come pull him out and we did when we were leaving my friend hit a pothole in some woods and his tired grabbed and he ran up on a ditch he bent his radius arm his frame, his gear box was straight up and down and his flew coupling was gone on his steering shaft we have gotten everything fixed now except for the frame and radius arm we got a radius arm at a junk yard but are having trouble with the bottom bolt is it left or right-handed threading?>?? or do i just need to put a break over bar with a cheater pipe on it?? please some one let me know.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 04:05 PM
Veteran

Re: radius arms..??

They *are* right hand thread, you probably just dont have it all aligned right(like the shock bracket?). Try inserting a line-up drift into the hole or something of that nature and lube the end of the bolt maybe with anti-sieze. I had a little bit of trouble trying to align everything on that same bolt hole when i changed my radius bushings, but if you work at it as i mentioned, you`ll get it eventually...

dont force it with a cheater bar or the nut welded to the inside of the axle tube may come off or strip.

Just a thought, but could the axle tube itself be bent also preventing it from lining up??????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 04:21 PM

What might I ask is a flew coupling? Is your "." (period) button working OK? It is very difficult to read messages when punctuation is left out.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

flex coupling excuase me

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: radius arms

I had to put a 3' cheater pipe on the '88 front axle I have to get the radius arms off, but I soaked the bolts inside & out with Liquid Wrench for a couple of days before.

I think what you're calling a "flex coupling" is more commonly called the rag joint. There have been several recent threads about it in this & the truck forum, so search for "rag joint" in them & you'll probably find more than you wanted to know.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Oops, I thought you were having trouble getting the replacement on, not getting the bent one off still.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well me any my friend got it off we used my dads break over bar and a 2' cheater pipe it was torqued down pretty good but once we busted it lost it came right out then the only problem we had was getting the new one on it was the wrong arm we found it in a junk yard but it was on a 2x4 truck so i had to break out the cutting torch and clean it up with a grinder we are gonna finish tomorrow thanks for the help anymore tips would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode