There is a special place in hell... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 02:08 AM
abrrox

There is a special place in hell...

for the guy who designed the Bronco tailgate!

What a day. Rear window went down but not up, and it's mighty cold lately. The problem is the "safety switch" that won't let the window go up unless the tailgate thinks it's closed.

Well, the internals of my tailgate are f**ked, after years of rust and no doubt, a poor design. I managed to get the window "up" but only when the tailgate was all the way down.

So, what to do, I had to take off the roof and very gently and slowly lower it over the raised tailgate and glass!

It worked, but I'm not happy. I've heard there is a way to by-pass this switch. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks all!

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 07:28 AM
Mud in my Veins

Tailgate safety switch

There was a thread about this not too long ago. It probably gave up because the strike bolt either shed its plastic sleeve, or shifted too far forward. If you have a T-50, you can loosen the driver's strike bolt and move it back about 1/16". It helps to draw a circle around it with a marker so you can make sure you only move it back & NOT up or down. The circle is good if you have to replace it, too, because you can put the new one back in exactly the same spot.

The switch is usually on the driver's latch inside the t/g, but it might be behind the center support when you pull the t/g access panel. Either way, if you find you need/want to defeat it, just short its wires together. You might use a Scotch connector clamped across both wires (unreliable), or a double male jumper plugged into both wires (very effective & easy to undo).

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: There is a special place in hell...

thankfuly when my switch stopped working it was warm out. (although for the most part it's always warm here in s. florida) I didn't know about the safety switch an I wound up cutting all the leads off of the key switch. Then I found a posting here about the safety switch. I was fortunate enough that I left enough wire leads from the switch that I could reconnect them. Don't do what I did because the switches (new) are special order and around $100.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bypassed the safty switch when i rebuilt my tailgate. I feel that if i'm dumb enough to put the window up while i have the gate down, that i deserve to have the glass shattered

86 BigBronco, EFI 302, Aod tranny, TTB dana 44/ford 8.8 both 3.55 (till I get 4.56 in), General Graber 35's, Warn 8000lb Winch, dual batteries, 2X6 rear bumper with built-in hitch
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:34 PM

Mine was bypassed when I bought it

Someone must have done that already. Just as well, because I enjoy being able to put the glass up when the tailgate is down so I can get at the internals and wash the inside without crawling into the back.

The downside is they gutted the rear key, so you've gotta go inside to put the gate glass down from the dash. At least it works that way.

Just a tip, once in a while I can't get my glass to go back up. When that happens I putthe gate down, start the glass up about 4 inches, then close the gate and finish raising the glass. This almost always works for me.

Sixlitre

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

Tailgate key

Sixlitre

I can probably hunt up a used rear key cylinder w/key if you'd like... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:16 PM
abrrox

Re: Tailgate safety switch

Thanks! I'm not sure how to do this, but got it booked in for Friday with my tech guy and service advisor, who both drive Broncos. I'll be printing out your e-mail to take in Steve. Appreciate all the help. As usual!

Brad

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:15 AM

Re: Tailgate safety switch

Steve

Depending on price, I'd be interested in a working unit, with or without key for the cylinder.

Thanks

Sixlitre

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:52 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Tailgate key

Is $5 plus the stamps to get it from here to Canuckland too much???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] E-mail or Private Message me your address & I'll look next time I hit the junkyards.

[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tailgate key

BTW, LMC Truck catalog has a pretty good selection of replacement parts for tailgates, etc. You can get a catalog for the Bronco from their web site www.lmctruck.com.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode