Bronco -88 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 02:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bronco -88

Hi!
I intend to buy a 1988 Bronco with 17k on the speedometer. Ive read about your mileage discussion, as you might know the gas are very expensive in Sweden. If Im right, a well maintenanced car seems not to be worse or an Blazer, Cherokee etc. Because of the distance to "my" car I have to buy on the telephone. Ok, I know it can be a ruin to trust people, but in this case I have to. Can you please give me some info to ask for when Im seriously discussing to buy the car. The owner told me that all vital equipment is renewed by the owner before him a year ago. That owner should have been a tecnicalfreak. The reason to sell is a combination of long distance driving and mileage. Do you think an -88 is a reasonably good buy?
Best Regards

Erik

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:01 AM

Re: Bronco -88

Any year could be a good buy, but at what cost? How much is this guy wanting? 17K for an '88 is like buying a brand new car to me.
Ask about maintenance. How often has the oil been changed, has he ever changed the fluid in the front and rear differencials? Transmission fluid been changed? Does the antifreeze get changed every year or two? I am not saying don't buy it if he can't give good answers. I am just saying the better the answers the better the deal.
Don't lock yourself into this wiithout ever seeing it. Take your trip to go pick it up and if it doesn't seem right then the walk.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 02:11 PM

It could be 117k, feel free to email me if anyone is interested in a 1990 BRONCO with 6k on the it.

90 BRONCO Custom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm with Shovel. If you look, you'll notice that it'll start over after 99,999 miles. It could have 217K for all you know. Also, unless the guy has proof (receipts) that there is new "vital" equipment I wouldn't believe him. Just be carefull, ask the right questions, and take it to a mechanic to have the computer scanned. Believe me, I learned my lesson after I bought mine. You may be in a world of hurt if you don't go through the right protocals. Other than that, LOL....I envy you because buying an MPV like a Bronco is lots of fun.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

you can run carfax.com on the VIN and see the registration records, which will show how many miles the truck had on it at each registration period. it costs 20 bucks i think but you can see how many records they have on file just by entering the vin at no cost. also, i'm sure this can be done at some government office but i dont know where... dmv i guess?

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah but, if it rolled over 100k it will just say over 100k on the registration or whatever you call it. That is only on models with 5 spaces for letters, ex. 99000, but if you have 6 spaces then it will show exactly the miles. Atleast it will show if it has been over a 100k, but not 200k...

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
[email protected]#$%^&* open Diffs.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 01:15 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Bronco 88

'88 wasn't the best year for Ford 4x4 trucks, but a Bronco is still a good vehicle and you'll certainly enjoy owning one.

The '87-88 front locking hubs are known to be a weak design; so much so that Ford went back to the '86 style in the middle of the '88 production year. If the hubs on this truck are held on by the lug nuts, it's not as desirable.

Also, they used 2 fuel pumps from '87-90 and this system is also prone to problems.

The '87-91 ignition system uses a module bolted directly to the distributor, and Ford is being sued right now for continuing to use this (TFI - thick-film ignition) even after they knew it was prone to failure.

However, knowledge is power and since you know what systems are going to give you problems, you can fix them before the truck breaks down. But they also give you some good points to argue to get a lower price. If you like the truck, buy it, but know what you're buying. Things I'd check are:
How many times has the odometer rolled over?
How much tread is left on the tires?
Do the brakes need to be changed?
Was the truck used for towing?
Was it wrecked?
What has been repaired or replaced?
Who performed the maintenance & repairs?
Was the automatic transmission fluid changed regularly?
Are there any fluid leaks?
Does the seller know of any problems or repairs that are needed?
How hard will it be for you to get replacement parts for it?
If you can't do the repairs yourself, are the local repair shops familiar with this vehicle?

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode