EFI fuel pump fuse ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

EFI fuel pump fuse ?

Is there an actual blade type fuse for the fuel pump

on a 86 302 EFI Bronco, and if so, where is it ? I am aware of the relay under the hood on the driver's side, but is there and actual fuse for the fuel pumps as well ?

Thanks

Sixlitre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: EFI fuel pump fuse ?

i dont thnk there is one. with my 88 setup, the power is direct to the computer main relay, and the computer sends power to the fuel pump relay from there.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you checked the "rollover switch"? There is a componant in all of the EFI rigs that will kill the power to the fuel pump in the case of a hard impact or rollover to prevent the fuel pump from running gas all over a wreck. On an '86 Bronco Full size it's located inside the cab on the firewall directly under the heater on the passenger side. It's a little square black box about 2" x 2" with a reset button on it. The very first place to look when the fuel pump quits (on any EFI vehicle) is this switch. They are especialy famous for tripping out in a 4X4 if you hit a realy hard bump while 4 wheeling. Push the reset button and see if the pump starts running.

Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly. **Wear your seat belt**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, ask STEVE anything about rolling over, hehehe

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
[email protected]#$%^&* open Diffs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Ew ! Low blow !

Actually I'm asking because I want to find a place to interupt the power to the fuel pumps for an anti-theft switch. I guess a wire to the coil will do the same thing.

Malcolm

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Shilo

SixLitre, to the best of my knowledge the fp has a fusible link (Steve would know where because I'm not certain it's right off the starter solenoid), but no blade type fuse. You could splice into the wiring around the inertia switch, don't see why that wouldn't work.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:56 AM
Mud in my Veins

I can't remember where exactly it gets power from, but I think it's from the EEC power relay, which I think has a fuse feeding it in the engine compartment fuse block (I know it has a diode). So putting a kill switch on THAT circuit would shut down the pump AND the EEC, which controls the ignition, so that would be out, too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 02:30 PM
Shilo

I think the EEC relay has an internal diode, or at least it should. This would explain why an EEC relay is more expensive than a fp relay, because, at least on my '90, these two relays are otherwise identical and can be exchanged to get you off the trail if you only carry one spare. The plastic housings are keyed differently but this is easily fixed w/a pair of dykes.
I also thought about killing the EEC power as a theft deterrent, but I'm not sure it's a good idea because you'd be wiping out the memory each time?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

I don't remember about the '87-91 EEC relay, but '92-97 uses the same relay for everything - the diode is separate and occupies the first big fuse position, but it can't be installed as a fuse because of the lug orientation.

Every time you turn off the key, you're cutting power thru that relay, so it won't kill the EEC memory. That's on a separate fuse, going to the EEC terminal labeled "KAM" or "KAPWR" in Haynes; that's Keep-Alive Memory or Keep-Alive Power. It also sets a code if that fuse blows or if you interrupt the feed while driving. But cutting it for a short period (I'm not sure what the EEC considers short) with the engine off won't erase the memory or set a code, otherwise it would do it every time you disconnect the battery for a moment (like changing it).

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode