Floor Vibration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Floor Vibration

I have a 90 Bronco w/ 351 W and E4OD and I have a vibration that has me stumped. When slowing down between 70 and 65mph I get a distinct vibration that is felt and heard under coming through the floor pan. Sounds like it is coming from the transmission hump and it oscillates like in relation to the drive shaft. I've checked everything I could, looking for something loose under the floor and have just had the drive shaft rebuilt. Both tranny and transfer case were recently rebuilt. It sounds like something touching the floor and at that certain speed it begins to vibrate. The only clue I have is that so far it only seems to happen when the passneger seat is empty (I've tightened everything on the floor that was even remotely loose). One of the only other things I can think of is one of the floor reinforcement plates under the seat has come loose. If any one has any clues I'd really appreciate it. I plan to look under it tomorrow and try and hunt it down, but I'm running out of places to look. Thanks
~Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:03 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Floor Vibration

The vibration is probably coming from warped rotors or drums, or unbalanced tires. The noise could be the heat shield under the passenger side floor, loose cargo, or just road noise being transmitted thru from the frame. How old are your body mounts? There is a pocket under the passenger seat base where something could roll into and be VERY hard to find - open the passenger door, flip the seat forward, and look between the base & the floor. There's also an access hole on the other side, but if you have a center console, that one's pretty hard to see and reach.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a similar problem with my 85 between 55-65 mph and spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was causing it and had three shops look at, they never figured it out. One insisted that my transfer case was going, one said it had to be in the rear end, and the other just said nothing was wrong. After many cursing sessions in my garage I figured out that the heat shield on my cat was coming into contact with the transfer case skid plate, which transmitted the vibration up through the frame and floor. Drove me nuts until I spotted the cracked spot welds on my exhaust. Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:04 PM

map85, how did you fix that? I have the same problem, except I only hear it when I hit potholes at high speeds or off-road. Did you get a hanger for the cat? Is that possible?

90 BRONCO Custom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wanted a new cat-back system so I bought a Flowmaster from Summit and brought it into a local, family owned exhaust shop and had them redo the system from the cat on back. They raised the entire system in the back and welded on better hangers throughout so it would stay off of my skid plate. It has been perfect ever since. It cost around $300 all together for the muffler, all new 2 1/2" pipes, hangers, stainless steel tip, and labor (which included a little extra attention to the insides of my second cat). I believe the guy I bought the truck off of had the exhaust work done at Midas or Meineke and they butchered the job. Anyway, I'm getting off of the subject here but yes better hangers did the trick for me, but not at the cats. Now if I can just get this I6 to sound a little better!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the ideas. I had my tires rebalanced a couple days ago and while they were out of whack and it rides better now the vibration is still there. It definately sounds like it's something touching the floor pan around the passenger seat/ center console. I was gonna pull up some of the carpet are look some more and crawl back under it today. Any more ideas would be great. Thnaks again

~Mike

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:45 PM

Here's a thought, if you recently had the tranny and tcase rebuilt, when they were reinstalled up under your vehicle, they might not of got that cross brace under the tranny bolted up tight. On mine, it is a hard rubber mount similar to an engine mount that adds support/rigidity under the whole drivetrain. If that had gotten loose, I would think that woud create movement in the drivetrain (and definitely a vibration), and possibly noise from under center where possibly something now "hits" the underbody or is knocking around in that mount. Maybe???

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode