Windshield Washers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Windshield Washers

OK,
I'm sick and tired of the freezing fog here![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
It's been anywhere from -5 to +15(F) lately with this horrible killer freezing fog.
Around town is OK, but I can't go more than a couple miles on the freeway,
and I've got to pull over to get the juice on the window to de-ice it.
Yes, the hot air's coming out OK through the defrosters, as well as from the rather large opening under my nose.
<font color=blue>Do later model Bronc's/F-150's have squirters that are mounted on the arm?</font color=blue>
Mine are on the valance and are virtually useless at anything over 35mph with my hood/windshield deflector.
They just send a fine mist all over the hood, and don't really reach the windshield at all.
(At least the hood stays clean and de-iced!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
I was just wondering if I could convert to a different type.
I know some Lincoln's, LTD's, Mustangs, etc have the squirters in the arm.
Anyone been there/done that and found anything that works?
Removing the deflector is not an option, as I'd be buying 2 to 3 new windshields a year.

OT. Hope everyone's Christmas and New Years was grand!

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Windshield Washers

I don't really understand what you are talking about- the valence? My windshield washer squirter thingy is right in front of the windshield, the liquid never hits my hood- unless I am going in reverse really fast- but it does go straight over my windshield on to my roof. I am thinking about taking just the end where water actually exits, off of a chevy s10, cause my brothers is awesome at cleaning the windshield, oh well. Good luck.

By the way I hurt my hand hitting a chair, I guess it was better than hitting my dad[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] more than just my hand would be hurt

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
[email protected]#$%^&* open Diffs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

The valance is the part behind the hood, and at the base of the windshield.
Exactly where you're talking about the location of where your squirter is mounted.
My hood deflector screws up the airflow above 35mph to the point that it swirls the air in front of the windshield and totally negates the efficiency of my windshield washers.
In fact, the squirters actually do shoot backwards.
However, I've been the route without the deflector, and it's too costly to keep replacing windshiels a FEW times a year.
Too many dirt/rock roads around here.
I know the aerodynamic ones wouldn't affect the washers as much, but they don't protect the windshield as much either.
I'm kinda stuck.

<font color=blue>Note: you can adjust your squirters with a needle, or a dental pick.</font color=blue>
That'd prevent them from shooting too high.

85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:11 PM
Veteran

WD40s right, i have a bug deflecter(prime designs *unbreakable lexan* which i broke[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]), and mine soaks the hood over 50. Maybe you can find some 70s style nozzles that have the 2" steel tube ends like i had in my 70 Torino. You can mount them anywhere as i put them in the hood scoop to soak pedestrians[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. Hey, i was 16.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]..

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:46 PM
Shilo

valance = cowl

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:06 AM

My 92 f150 and 92 bronco had good washers until I installed a wind viser on the hood. It changed the air flow which would hardly allow the fluid to get half way up the windshield.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] My Jeep's an ATV I can drive on the highway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] but it likes the dirt. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 07:13 PM

Good Question, I want a different set up also. Mine squirts a single stream on both sides- until you go over 55- then I don't know where it goes nothing is wet in front of it and it ain't making it to the windshield. Putting it on the wiper-arm would be the best alternitive I think.

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Hmmmm,
Sounds like I'm not the only one with this dilemna.
Looks like a project for the next weekend or two.
At least I've been helping one of the locals at the boneyard on his TMX truck this year at Lewistown,
so with any luck he'll let me come down and hunt around for something that might work.
TMX = Truck Moto Cross. Dirt road course, jumps, bangin', etc etc.
<font color=blue>BRONCOMANIA</font color=blue> '70 Torino huh?
Dang, forgot about how the washers were on that car.
Had one myself at 17 years young. Convertible, shaker hood scoop, true Boss 351 with the 6 quart pan, 4 bolt mains. Ahhh I miss it!
Traded it in on a '76 MGB. What an idiot![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Oh well, live and learn.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Veteran

They mounted on the inside of the hood with one screw but you could mount them elsewhere and bend the tube to point where you wish[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].

Yeah, I had the Fastback GT w/351 fact. duals, hideaway headlights, 11.4 to 1 quench Heads/4 bolt main, and a firm shifting FMX[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. No shaker, just the built in scoop.
My buddy at the time had the ultimate- 70 Cobra Torino (Shaker, 429SCJ, Top-Loader, det-locker,<font color=red>RED</font color=red>), i couldn`t keep up...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok thanks for the clearing it up WD40, I will try and get the squirter adjusted soon as court is over for me and I am able to drive again[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img], again the friendly cops of Williamson County have reminded us teenagers that underage anything is illegal[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img], especially drinking
Sorry for the run-on...

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
[email protected]#$%^&* open Diffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode