Header - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Header

85 4.9L I6 - Anyone have a recommendation for a quality header? I believe Hooker and Clifford are the only brands I've located so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Header

I thought that Hedman (www.hedman.com) made a header for the 4.9L... but I couldn't find one on their site... you could try calling them.

Good luck,
Ryan

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hedman does make a header as well as Pace Setter. The Hedman is a spendy unit, but good quality. A lot of guys use it with the Offy intakes. Clifford's come in dual or single outlet, I don't know about the rest. Check for flange thickness, most headers will not bolt up with a factory intake due to different flange thicknesses on the intake and exhaust mounting tabs.

Eric
If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
http://www.users.qwest.net/~ejtachell/Bronco/Bronco.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have my eyes on the Offy intake, a 390 CFM carb, and whichever header. Hopefully this will give me more POWER! I have already replaced the exhaust system so now I just need to get the rest of it done.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

flange thickness is a real B%$#*. I had to use a washer from a chevy to compensate. Also, one piece units would be much easier to mount....Why such a small carb? You wouldn't put a 390 on 5.0. Go bigger for power.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good point. I thought the 390 CFM was the recommened 4 BBL carb for the 300 but I see that Clifford Performance offers a 465 CFM as well.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Holley 390cfm carb is on the small side. The 465 is a better choice in my opinion. Several guys are running Edelbrock/Carter 500 cfm carbs since thay are close in size to the Holley 465 and have had good results. I personally run a Holley 600 on my I-6 now. What ever you get, you will need to re-jet it for your engine. The Edelbrock/Carter carbs tune easier and seem to work better off road. The Holly takes more tuning and has to be modified to work good in the rough, but does have better performance.

Are you going with the Dual Plane or C Series Offy intake? I hear that the C Series is the one to get, it has better flow and still has good low end. This is only other people talking. I personally use the Clifford intake which has a similar design as the Offy C Series.

Eric
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't decided yet. I would like to go with Clifford's products as they seem to have a good reputation, specialize in the 4/6 cyl. area and their intake and headers are desinged to work together. They are a little pricey though. I have to see how much I get back from Uncle Sam this year and then I have to make sure the wife doesn't spend it all. Thanks for the info.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I do have a couple of things you must work out when you put the new headers and intake/carb on. The origional intake was heated off the exhaust manifold to to keep the carb from icing and the fuel from dropping out of atomization. To solve this, the new intake has to be heated. The easiest way is is by the cooling system. Clifford makes their intake in a water heated version that taps inline with your heater hose. The hot coolant keeps the intake warm. Offenhauser does not make a heated intake. Clifford has a solution for that as well. They sell a carb spacer plate that connects to the heater hose and heats the intake and carb. These plate heaters will fit the Offy intake.

The second issue is the EEC-4 ignition system and distributor. You ignition is currently controlled by the computer. When the origional carb and sensors are removed, the ignition system will go into a map that is not good for performance. The cheapest, easiest, and best solution for this is to drop back to the earlier Duraspark II system. You will need a Duraspark II distributor and ignition module with the Blue strain relief. Ask for them at the parts store and state your rig is a 78 Ford Bronco with the 300 I-6 and that you need the distributor with the single advance. This will get you the correct parts. I have a wiring diagram I can email you on how to wire up the cail, distributor and ignition module. There is only about seven wires.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to email me with them.

Eric
[email protected]

Eric
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Eric,

My '84 300 finally gave up this week so I've got to replace her. I think I want to get out of that 84 electro-hybrid carburetor. I know Steve would tell me to move up to a late model EFI. If you were trashing everything under the hood, how would you do it? If I get a (78?) reman long block, Duraspark distributor and ignition module, new intake manifold and carb, it's pricey, but at least I understand it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode