Ultimate security system/my locks are frozen ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Ultimate security system/my locks are frozen !

Well my theft worries are on hold for a while....MY LOCKS ARE FROZEN !

I can't figure this one out. I had that thing in the Arctic for two years and this rarely happened up there. It's only just below freezing here (28 degrees F) and they're freezing already.

I had the inner door panels off the other day and sprayed everything that seemed to move with WD 40 and then motorcycle chain lube and it's still bad when it goes below freezing.

The driver's lock actuating motor seems to have it's rubber boot not firmly on the motor, but it's still above the motor protecting it from the looks of it. The passenger's is still on. Do they fill up with water and freeze ?

The key doesn't work in the doors either, presumably because the rods attached to the motor that is frozen are also attached to the other side of the latch preventing the key from turning the latch, correct ?

Is it easy to remove these motors, lube the bejeepers out of them and run them on the bench with a battery ? Or is it time to spring for new lock motors ?

Out in the cold, locked out Canuck

Malcolm

p.s./
Passenger's window goes down with it's switch, but neither window goes down from the driver's side. Switch on driver's door ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ultimate security system/my locks are frozen !

I just pulled the lock motor out of my drivers side door. When it died, I was unable to lock my door for about 2 weeks. I don't think it's the cold since I live in Louisiana. In any case, once I pulled it, the lock worked perfectly. I drilled out the door rivet to take it out. Took about 15 minutes including time taking off the door panel. I haven't put it back in yet but will one of these days when I get a new one and get around to it. Keyless entry is nice but life isn't really that bad without it.

My window switches also stopped working. Take the one of your passenger door window switches and put it in one of the drivers door switches that don't work. That will tell you if it is a switch or wiring. My money is on the switch. Swapped them out no problemo. Make sure you get some new plastic fasteners for the door. I'll bet yours are pretty worn out. They are cheap and eliminate a lot of squeaking. Also, while your doing little things think about replacing the window trim. If it's original it's probably worn and cracked. That makes rattles and lets water in. Look at your rear window trim. If it's hashed I'll bet you have rust at the very bottom of your tail gate from all the water thats accumulated over the years. Anyways good luck.

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

Odds are the freezing is occurring in the lock cylinders, not the motors, but the motors do go out. They are totally unserviceable (except for the little BB's in the spiral flutes of the op rod), so just get a new one. I've tried sawing a small slit into the case & adding oil, but it didn't help at all. Those accordion boots are POS - even if it looks like it's still in place, closer inspection will probably reveal MANY dry-rot cracks.

The driver's window switch on '80-86 is unique & not interchangeable with the passenger's, so if yours is bad you'll have to replace it. Ford gets about US$27 for it, but I have a nearly-new one (used for less than 3 mo) you can have for $15 or a junkyard one for $10, plus the stamps to mail it. You can see them here with my other truck parts.

**Now that I'm looking at the pic in that link (the second pic on that page), I see it's still in the Ford bag, but I don't remember if the bag is sealed. I think it is, but I'd have to rummage it out.**

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys

I'm off into town to price the lock motors and a driver's side switch. If it's too pricey I may take you up on the used piece Steve, but I'd rather grab one and stick it in asap as I finally got a date for my back op on the 17th of January and that's gonna put me out of commission for a while.

Strangely the rubber seals on the doors aren't bad. I snapped a new one off a newer wreck for the driver's side last year for free. I ponied up the cash for the rear gate seal after having to repair the tailgate last year and believe me , yes there is rust on that gate.

15 minutes with the drill eh ? Wish me luck and thanks again for the info guys

Malcolm

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Good deals/bad deals

Lucked out on the driver's window switch, 22 bucks CDN or 15 American brand new. The door lock motors were an outrageous $189.00 CDN each side !!!!!!!!!!

The parts guys seems to think there's hope for my units yet, as they work fine when the truck warms up. He figures there's water in them and by taking them out and baking them upside down in the oven on a low heat, over a drain pan, that might get the water out of them. I'll just rig up a couple of stands out of coat hangers to keep them upside down and baste lightly with Liquid wrench after I've pulled them out of the oven. Steve you said you tried drilling into them ? That didn't go well ?

I'm gonna take Bakes previous advice and disconnect the motors and put them on the bench(and into the oven) to screw with later. In the meantime at least I'll be able to use a key to get into the truck.

FYI:

The replacement electric door lock motors are made to fit 80-86 trucks as well as trucks made much later and they fit either side, not like the original left or right side motors.

Thanks again guys

Malcolm

p.s./
Any ideas on what to use to replace my corroded rubber boots on the motors ? Industrial strength horse condoms ?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Do any of those jobbers in the States, you guys love to hate, sell these door lock motors aftermarket ?

My parts guys says those new universal replacement door lock motors have a special harness adaptor to interface the newer style connectors on the replacement motor with the older 80-86 door wiring connectors.

Sixlitre

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 04:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

i got universal replacements for both doors for 7 bucks each. www.partsexpress.com search for actuator. there are two sizes and you want the bigger of the two. takes a little fiddling but if you have smaller hands/arms than me then you'll probably get in done fairly quickly. i've probably got more details in another thread, search on here for actuator or parts express if you want more info.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 03:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Drilling

Actually, I hacksawed a small slot to be sure I didn't go into something I shouldn't, but the reason it didn't work is that the motor bearings were already too rusty - if yours still spin, you could probably drain the water from them that way. I'd be SURE to get some kind of oil in them quickly, though, or they will rust up.

BTW I've never seen '80-86 L&R lock motors, and I know I'm using some original ones. Round zinc-plated steel housings with 2 posts in rubber grommets to mount, and a spiral-cut op rod going into a plastic clip at the door catch. Seems like the '92-97s might have used black plastic motors...

[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Re: Drilling

Thanks Muddy and Steve

No, my paws are quite large, but for 7 bucks a side I'll be goin' for it anyway !!!!!!!! Man that's cheap !!!! I'll probably try saving mine first, like Steve detailed, as I'll probably be getting knifed by the surgeon before those new units get here.

Steve, I'm going on what the parts guy said about there being a left and right for the 80-86 electric door actuator motors. If you've got identical originals then I'd bet you're right and he's overworked with too many numbers bouncing around in his head.

If I slice into them and once they're drained and dried out, what would you fill em' up with ? Remember cold does funny thing to lubricants up here. I was thinking Liquid Wrench until it pops easily, then drain that and fill it with synthetic oil or something similar, as grease will probably slow down when cold.

Sixlitre

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 02:16 AM
Mud in my Veins

Filling

Liquid Wrench has been one of my favorites since I discovered it DOESN'T have the wax that WD-40 does. I agree that you don't want a thick oil in there, but they don't have much oil to begin with - just enough to soak the brass bearings. I'd use 3-in-1 household oil and then drain as much as I could before siliconing the drain shut. You might use condoms to replace the original boots - yeah, they'll believe THAT at the pharmacy! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode