Tranny Conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Tranny Conversion

Has anyone done a E4OD to M5OD conversion? I think I have most of the parts list and what I need to rewire, but an experienced head of info is always nice. Expect a tech write-up on my site when I finish.

PS anyone need a boat anchor? It's a little oily but will sink just fine.....

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 10:08 PM
Shilo

Re: Tranny Conversion

Why the M5OD and not a ZF? If you're giving away your E4OD I'd take it in any condition... where are you located?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Can't find a ZF, almost didn't find the M5. I think I might want to play with the E4OD. I will let you know about it when I am done. if you still want it. I am in Memphis,TN.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:22 AM

Geeez, you can have my M5OD when I trash the mutha. Actually I should have good feelings about my M5OD since I completely wreek havack (haha no pun) on it and it somehow still works. Maybe it hasn't broke yet cuz the clutch is so crappy. I swear my clutch goes anytime there is any stress put on it. Oh well.

90 BRONCO Custom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:49 AM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, consider yourself lucky. my brother has had his 5 speed in his Toy rebuild 3 times already and last night during the "fun" he lost reverse and one of his forward gears trying to get unstuck. guess that honking (that's a dodge truck commercial word) 4 cylinder is too much for the thing. i like my auto, it's just drag and drop, no typing commands on the console, if you know what i mean (computer metaphors, my friend). it has its days but so far it has not left me high and dry (or low and swamped). a stick seems like it would be a hassle off road anyway, and sorta dangerous on road, but i guess it gets easier if you drive one for awhile. i'd love to get ahold of a 6 spd allison auto for my truck, THAT would be the ultimate. i bet those are $$$ to rebuild.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

My problem is this E4OD is a JASPER rebuilt, long out of warrenty. The truck has 120k and just lost it's second A/T? I really don't trust the E4OD after that. I wanted the stick when I was looking for a truck but I settled for this. Now I can swap it over for about $1200 instead of going back with a new E4OD for about $2200. So I tell the Wife how much I am saving and I spend some of the savings on.........

Havack!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Scored the shift arm, master cylinder, tranny wire harness, floor pan, brake/clutch pedal assembly and a spare overflow/washer fluid tank today for $35. The guy said the idems were non inventory stuff so he sold it cheep. He wants $1K for an actual ZF though......Tempting, but I think I have the Mazda scored for $600 with the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate

Havack!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'd sell you a rail overdrive transmission for less then that, out of my 84, but i presume u want the five speed for low first and overdrive. i wish i could have both, but the need to tow leaves me runing my np435.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:11 AM
Mud in my Veins

SROD

Man, I doubt you could give one of those things to the engineer who designed it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SROD

hahahahah. thats what i hear about them, but mine never gave me any trouble at all. i guess the fact that it was rebuild about 30,000 miles before i bought the truck might have been good for it. the syncros were nice, being able to shift without useing the clutch pedal. well, i guess that means no one is interested in it, and i might as well just scrap it.

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode