Pic of 22R in my RAIL - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dune Buggies, Sand, Desert Cars Discussion of Dune Buggies - Sand, and Desert Cars. Generaly of tube construction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Pic of 22R in my RAIL

Well, its been awhile, burt I have been working on it. I got the brakes done and jsut need to wire it and plumb the steer brakes. I installed wilwood 12" rotors and 4 piston calipers. Installed a new Rack and Pinion to eliminate some bump steer, and got the suspension handled.

Nathan

Who needs foot brakes, when there is WOT and steer brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:26 AM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pic of 22R in my RAIL

Cool! Looks like you're dumpin' some coin in there. Did you make the gas tank and mods to the radiator? I had a flush gas cap like that in my Jaz fuel cell, it would collect dirt/sand around the edge of the ruber seal and there was no way to get it out. So every time I'd open the tank all the crud would fall in. I swapped it out with a bail handle cap assy. No crud and the opening is a lot bigger. Just a thought....
So I guess it'll be wheelie time soon?

Chevota
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 04:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Way cool concept!
Did you fab your own engine adapter to the IRS Transaxle?

See ya
RJ
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Now if I can figure out what the little shifter by my 4spd does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:17 PM
SteelyDel

Hey Nate,
You seem to have all the time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
If you're nearby I'll supply the beers!!!
DEL

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 08:52 PM
Pooh-Bah

Well? I know your're trickin' that thing out. Where's the updates?
If you can handle a big E-mail (800K) I was going to send you a 6 second video clip of my buggy in action last year before I did the A-arms.

Chevota
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Your right chevota, what have I been thinking? Not updating everyone on the progress on my buggy and how things turned out............100 lashings with a wet noodle my way please (pause while I crouch in the corner from the pain!)

I got the damn thing running and tuned pretty well for the sea level I live at. The brakes work awsome---12" wilwood rotors with 4 piston wilwood calipers-----and my turn brakes are absolutley awsome. I got the thing to drive and found out I got a bad 5 rib tranny. Realizing we had more HP than a stock clutch could handle, we ordered up a 1700lb Kennedy plate with a Organic disc. No slippage now, it just like light switch, its either on, or its off. Anyway, put our original 3 rib back in, and immidiatley blew 1st gear!!!! whoops. We then installed our last 3 rib. No more 4000RPM dumps on the clucth on concrete to see if we can pull a wheely.

Got it running good, then we went on a trail ride with the Cascade Crawler bunch and tore it up, not the rail, but the trails. Check out the pics of the run, there is one good one of my climbing a hill catching some air www.cascadecrawlers.com under the Tillamook trail ride section. We had a blast. At one point, I got to ride quad while my BIL drove, with the air suspension and 13.5" travel, the rail articulates like a bastard. The best part of hill climbing is when you get crossed up or can not go any farther, just work the steer brakes like a tractor and away you go.

We rode to the 3000 foot level in Tillamook and that elevation really took its tole on the one carb per cylinder syndrome. I am now in the process of installing Toyota Fuel Injection. Should be done early May.

I can recieve your email, it may take a while to download, but i am suer its worth the wate. I have 2 myself that are very cool.

L8R Nathan

Who needs foot brakes, when there is WOT and steer brakes.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 11:47 PM
Pooh-Bah

You're making me nervous with all those broken trannies. Better not jinx me! So what is your E-mail? Mine is [email protected]

Chevota
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 12:19 PM

Great rail Dude ....... but to restate a question how did you bolt the 2 together .......

Mark ......

Who says you cannot 4 Wheel a Bus ..........
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

i built a adapter out of 1/2 alum. Using the belhousing spacer from a 22R and a Bellhousing form a vw tranny. Found the centers of each and cut it out. I used a 2.0 pinto vw adapted flywheel, remachined the bolting area and made a throwout bearing adapter. Total cost..........120$.

Or you can call up kennedy enigeered products and buy an adapter fro most anything for 480$!

I chose the prior.

N

http://www.cascadecrawlers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode