1980 Dodge W150 Front Hub Slipping? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

1980 Dodge W150 Front Hub Slipping?

I have a 1980 Dodge W150 "Sno Commander". I noticed while plowing today that the front wheels seem to be getting only intermittent power, and I can hear what amounts to an occasional course grinding (hub teeth slipping?) sound. I can't really tell for sure which side its coming from. I suspect hub issues because I had the passenger side ball joints replaced, and I never had this issue before that. The mech who did the joints is making a house call today to check the hub for me, but in case he draws a blank (he better not...), I'd like advice as to what to look for. Please note that I'm not a mechanic, and until researching the problem this morning, I had no idea how a hub lock even worked. I've got the general idea now, though, lol! Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Oh, I'm not sure what axle it is, but best info says its a Dana 30, and I'm 98% sure these hubs are original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Proof positive that I'm no mechanic - turns out the hub is fine. I blew apart the driver's side u-joint. On the bright side, now I know what a u-joint that's in the process of being destroyed sounds like!

Thanks to anyone who almost posted advice, lol.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbradio View Post
I have a 1980 Dodge parts W150 "Sno Commander". I noticed while plowing today that the front wheels seem to be getting only intermittent power, and I can hear what amounts to an occasional course grinding (hub teeth slipping?) sound. I can't really tell for sure which side its coming from. I suspect hub issues because I had the passenger side ball joints replaced, and I never had this issue before that. The mech who did the joints is making a house call today to check the hub for me, but in case he draws a blank (he better not...), I'd like advice as to what to look for. Please note that I'm not a mechanic, and until researching the problem this morning, I had no idea how a hub lock even worked. I've got the general idea now, though, lol! Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Oh, I'm not sure what axle it is, but best info says its a Dana 30, and I'm 98% sure these hubs are original.
for the hub issues that is not really a do it yourself thing. the best move to make is to find a good independent mechanic so you can avoid your dealer. but if you are rich enough to pay tremendous labor price then don't hesitate to visit your dealer about this. there are also lots of tools needed to do the repair so i did not attempted to do it.

Last edited by ronierogers; 09-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode