Holley 4bbl & fuel pressure regulator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Holley 4bbl & fuel pressure regulator

Hey people!

first of all, glad to be here and look forward to getting some positive feedback from everybody!
About 6 months ago I bought a 1990 dodge dakota sport-4x4-5 speed,3.9L
Turns out the old owner dropped an 1987 3.9L down in it. He also installed a holley 390 cfm 4 bbl
carb with a mopar 4bbl intake. The truck drove pretty good, but the carb was on the way out, so here's where
I am right now...
There was no mechcanical fuel pump installed on the engine. The guy had the 90 in-tank pump disconnected (un-plugged),
There was a carter electric pump mounted below the tank on the rail....followed it up to a small filter, then the hose
right to the carb! (the return line was plugged with a rubber plug). I decided to bring it to my mechanic (friend),
and see what he thought! He got rid of the carter pump, installed the proper mechanical fuel pump, and another little
filter.(when i look under the hood I noticed the return line was unplugged, and he had both fuel lines heading over to the mechanical pump)
He also installed a new timing chain for me. So when he pulled it over it started great, ran pretty nice,
but it was whaling out smoke from the exhaust (burning rich). After less then 5 mins of running, fuel started pouring out of the top
of carb! My mechanic then adjusted my float levels...still doing the same thing! Bought a holley trick kit & floats. rebuilt everything,
popped it back on....still doing the same thing!! My mechanic is now out of town for a few months, and I'm so fustrated with it
out in my driveway!! I ended up selling the carb and buying a brand new one!! Was tired of messing it! I'm going to pick up a
B&M analog fuel pressure gauge to install. And also I picked up a dead head style regulator.....but now i"m concerned that it won"t work
being that the return is going back to the tank! Told i need a bypass/deadhead style? This regulator has the base reading "in" and the
left and right side reading out. (will this work??) The new mechanical pump is for the carbed engine...so it shouldn't put out that much psi!
Pretty much don't wanna install the new carb....being that i'm a afraid I'll mess it up! This is all new to me, so I apoligize if all this
doesn't make sense!

Hope someone can help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I snapped a few pics

I just posted these pics online of what was going on under the hood.

PictureTrail - Gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode