First Truck help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

First Truck help

I got a 06 Ram 1500 Big Horn for my fifteenth birthday present. I have worked so hard to pay for it and now its all mine! haha

Lets have fun with this. I want your opinion of how i can make it a more offroad worthy truck. So far, everything is stock. What can i do to make this truck even cooler?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Apprentice

boy to have a STOCK new truck / its been years

to start with get some TIRES and rims / not to BIG but a little more than stock and definitly MUD type / you wanna keep the stock tires and rims for traveling / the first thing you should buy is a HI-LIFT jack / the BIGGEST you can afford / its only $80 bucks for the BIG dog / not only can you use it as a jack but also as a winch / l have 3 of them and would not go anywere without one
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Its going to depend heavily on the type of offroading you are planning on doing. If you are into rock crawling your needs will be very different than if you are doing trails at an OHV park or fire roads through a national forest. The advice given above is solid, but depending on your budget, rims and tires might be a bit of a hefty output of cash after buying a nearly new truck (I still can't afford 2006 models ). Another option, the one that I used myself, is to set up a basic recovery kit (hi-lift, chains, recovery straps, first aid kit, etc) get a friend who has a 4x4 and some wheeling experience (in case you need someone to pull you out or lend a hand with something) and hit the trail. This is of course assuming your stock tires are at least All Terrains (not a pavement only tread as some came with) and have some decent tread left on them. Bottom line is to get out and drive the truck the way you intend. As long as you ensure your own safety, the truck will tell you what it needs to do what you want it to do. The strengths and weaknesses will become apparent very quickly once you get out and do some driving. Have fun and be safe out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCalhon View Post
I got a 06 Ram 1500 Big Horn for my fifteenth birthday present. I have worked so hard to pay for it and now its all mine! haha

Lets have fun with this. I want your opinion of how i can make it a more offroad worthy truck. So far, everything is stock. What can i do to make this truck even cooler?

Thanks!

Wow - happy birthday. I'm 29 and can only now get an '06

Cool eh? Well like said, depends on what you wanna do with it. What kind of results do you want? Any concerns about cost? Mileage? Doing the work yourself?

My first priorities in a new truck are 1. getting in it, so nerf bars. Then I address the intake/exhaust and tires. These will be affected by the cash flow so planning is required. I also like giving some time to the truck so I can establish stock mileage before making changes.

Get a tow strap or chain in there, a jack, fluids and jumper cables. You got to have some tools on hand to take care of immediate roadside problems.

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode