Front end shake - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:31 AM
dneff

Front end shake

I have an '04 Dodge 1500, Crew Cab, Laramie SLT, 4WD, Hemi/auto. I bought the truck used about 18 months ago. When depressing the brake, there is some front end shake, it is more pronounced at slower speeds. The truck received new tires and wheels and it was less noticeable at first. It has since came back. I have rotated, re-balanced and torqued the new wheels. I have double checked the tightness of all suspension and brake bolts. I am leaning towards a rotor issue (4 wheel discs). I use the truck to pull a good sized boat, and it has not been off road. I cannot find anyone in my area that can or will turn rotors, so I will replace them if necessary. As I am in the Army and currently down range, I do not want to just buy a complete new braking system if it may be something else. Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Apprentice

Date: January 6, 2005

Models: 2004 (DR) Ram Truck (1500 Series Only)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2004 vehicles built on February 25, 2004 and February 26, 2004 (MDH 0225XX and 0226XX)

Overview:
This bulletin involves installing brake pads, hub and resurfacing the rotors and checking rotor runout.

Symptom/Condition:
The vehicle may exhibit pulsation or vibration in the brake pedal and/or steering wheel when the brakes are applied. The condition is most noticeable at speed over 50 MPH but can occur at lower speeds.

Diagnosis:
If a customer indicates that the condition is present and the vehicle was built on Feb. 25 or Feb. 26, 2004 (MDH 0225XX or 0226XX), perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts Required: Qty. Part No. Description
1 05139733AA Brake Pads
1 52070321AB Hub and Bearing - Rear Anti - Lock
1 52070323AB Hub and Bearing - ABS

Special Tools/Equipment Required:

ProCut Hunter
One of the
Following
DaimlerChrysler
Approved On Car
Disc Rotor Lathes: PC-610, PC-CHRYSLER,
PC-TRUCK,
PC-CROSTRUCK,
PC-PFMTRUCK,
PC-PFMCHRYSLER,
PC-PFM900,
PC-PFMCHRYSLER-95,
PC-PFMTRUCK-95,
PC-PFM900-95,
PC-PFM90.2,
PC-PFM90.4, PC-PFM90 H-OCL360, H-OCL360-LT-PRO,
H-OCL360-LT-PSE, H-OCL360A,
H-OCL360A-LT-PRO,
H-OCL360A-LT-PSE, H-OCL360S,
H-OCL360S-LT-PRO,
H-OCL360S-LT-PSE, H-OCL400,
H-OCL400-LT-PRO

Repair Procedure: 1. Inspect the front brakes for any signs of abnormal wear or damage. Repair as
necessary.
2. Remove both front calipers adapters with the calipers attached, support and set aside.
3. Remove both front hub and bearing assemblies using the appropriate service manual
procedures for 2 or 4 wheel drive.
4. Install both new hub and bearing assemblies with the appropriate part number listed
in the Parts Required Section above.
5. Install the new front pads and anti-rattle springs with the appropriate part number
listed in the Parts Required Section above.
6. Resurface both front brake rotors with a DaimlerChrylsler approved on-car brake
lathe. If an on-car lathe is not available at the dealership, the rotor resurfacing must
be sublet to a facility with an approved on car lathe.
7. Mark one wheel stud on each side with a dab of paint or suitable marker.
NOTE: Wheel stud torque is critical to the success of the repair. the following procedure is
intended to identify excessive rotor distortion which could be caused by improper wheel stud
torque.

8. Install the wheel and pre-tighten the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: 70 Nm (50 ft. lbs.)
then final tighten the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: 183 Nm (135 ft. lbs.) and mark the
wheel at the same location as the marked wheel stud.
9. Set up a dial indicator to measure mounted rotor lateral runout . Place the dial indicator
plunger against the inner machined rotor face, visible between the brake caliper and the
front splash shield (Figure 1). Rotate the wheel and tire assembly two turns and take
runout measurement. If the measurement is less than .050 mm (.002 in.) no further
action is required. If the measurement is greater than .050 mm (.002 in.) remove the lug
nuts and relocate the wheel one stud clockwise, tighten the lug nuts as described in step
6 and check the runout again. Do not remove any brake parts. Repeat step 7 for each
wheel location until you achieve the lowest mounted runout. Minimum mounted rotor
runout will be achieved by moving the wheel, not the rotor.

Repeat the mounted lateral runout check for the other rotor.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Time Allowance:

Labor Operation No: Description Amount
22-45-01-95 Replace Brake Pads, Hub, Resurface Rotors and
Check Rotor Run Out - 4 X 2 2.4 Hrs.
22-45-01-96 Replace Brake Pads, Hub, Resurface Rotors and
Check Rotor Run Out - 4 X 4 2.8 Hrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode