To re-gear or not to re-gear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Phrog

To re-gear or not to re-gear

I own a 2005, 2500 4x4 with the Cummins power plant and 3.73:1 gears in the axles. It is also equipped with the 48RE transmission. Iím putting a lift kit on it and larger tires (35Ē). Iíve had several people tell me that with the diesel, I will not notice that much of a performance drop off from stock. Iím looking for info from those that have put bigger tires on their truck and what the performance was like after the new tires compared to the OE 31Ē tires.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Apprentice

even with a GAS motor you dont notice it that much but on hills / BUT not with the DIESEL / it has plenty / 3.73,s are about right for 35,s anyways / it should be 4.10,s for MAX power / but with the 3.73,s you,ll do better on the hiway
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Phrog

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
80powerwagon

not to re-gear

i have an 03 cummins with the same gears and i run 315-70-17 or 35/12.5 17s. i have to switch to factory tires to pull my camper around and i do notice a power difference when i put the big tires back on, but not enought to really worry about. the banks six gun more than takes care of that. with those tires and gears i get 20 to 25mpg on the highway. really really like the set up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Phrog

Thanks for the info...has the installation of the Banks gear presented any problems with the functioning of the engine or transmission?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM
80powerwagon

the banks is the best thing ive put on my pickup. i have had zero problems with the engine or tranny. you can pull on the number six setting because the torque converter will sense a little slip and shut the banks down. so six is just for play. other than that its pretty sweet. you definately need to upgrade you exhaust if you put one on though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode