Can I get your opinion on my Dodge problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Can I get your opinion on my Dodge problem?

Normally I'm over in the Jeep side but I got a problem I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on. I have an 05 1500 with the 4.7. All I do with the truck is tow and haul mostly. Anyway, with the power lacking in the 4.7 for towing a 5000lb camper, I had some 4.56's swapped into the 8.25. Not knowing much about gear swaps, I trusted the mechanics I've used and now I have had major issues. The first mechanic totally f it up ( I won't go into how bad it was) and the second guy did better but not 100%. When I tried to get him to finish the job he just shrugged his shoulders and sent me on my way - $600 lighter. Obviously these guys are not getting the backlash correct as I have a pretty loud whine on the drive and coast side but my main concern is a vibration that develops at 78 mph. Drive shaft is balanced and not hitting critical speeds. U-joints are good. Last night I jacked up the rear, removed the wheels, indexed the drive shaft to the yoke and shimmed the transmission about 1/2" with some poly bushings I had laying around from a new set of shocks. It seemed to reduce the vibration but it's still very noticeable although now instead of the truck sounding like it's going to blow apart at 80, I can take it on up to 85. Would just changing gears affect the pinion angle any? I'm going to shim in about another 1/2" this weekend to see if that helps.
Any ideas? These so called "mechanics" around here have me gun-shy about taking it in anywhere else. I think my next stop is a big-truck shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Addict

Re: Can I get your opinion on my Dodge problem?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Jeeps!!!

j/k sorry...couldn't resist! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

I personally don't see how changing out a ring and pinion could affect the driveshaft angle.

I have always left my gear swaps to shops that are in the business of doing just that. I would find a local 4 wheel drive shop that has experience doing gear swaps, and then I would go to some of their customers to find out what kind of work they did and if they were happy.

I have had the gears in both my XJ and CJ repalaced by 4 wheel drive shops and have not had a problem. I wouldn't even trust the Jeep dealership to do the gears on either vehicle, just becasue I don't believe they are experienced in that type of work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Jeeps!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jealousy is such an ugly monster.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 AM
MayorOfDodgevile

in my 1500 4.7 i installed a jet stage 2 hyper chip which requires intake and exhaust as well as thermostat upgrades. i used a k&n tornado intake, throttle body spacer, low temp therm. and dual exhaust altogether it really woke the truck up. increased power and gas mileage quiet a bit. i am now installing a lift kit and tires with a new set of gears but i'm looking more like 5.29's in the rear however i'm no expert at the whole gear thing. justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode