Pitman arm replacement problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Pitman arm replacement problems

Due to slop in the steering and some semi violent shimmying around 35-45mph, i decided to replace my pitman and idler arms (ive had two suspension mechanics tell me they are way overdue). I got a pitman arm puller and I cannot for the life of me get the old pitman arm off. I shattered the wrench i was using on the pitman arm separator, and after buying a new one, I still cannot turn it anymore, even with using a 3ft breaker bar (thats how i broke the first wrench). I also used an impact wrench set to the highest torque setting thinking maybe the pounding and vibrating action might help, but no use. Ive also been spraying liquid wrench on the pitman arm and letting that soak in overnight. My next idea is to use a mini blowtorch I have on the pitman arm in hopes of expanding it so it will slide off the steering gear. Anybody else have any other ideas? Ive heard of some people using a pickle fork/pry bar, but I would think the pitman arm puller would have more separating force, but I could be wrong. The shops around here charge so much so itd be really great if i could do it myself (plus I already have all the tools and man hours invested in it). Thanks everybody.
-Dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Official Historian

Re: Pitman arm replacement problems

First, the idler arm pivot could cause some slop... the pitman arm won't. There shouldn't be a need to take it off.

For taking it off, the proper procedure is to tighten down the puller then hit the end of the puller screw with a heavy hammer. Tighten, pound, tighten, pound... It will come off that way.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YUP THEY CAN BO TOUGH / also wack the pitman arm its self on the side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM

I would be cautious of using a hammer on it since damage to the box could result, an air hammer would be a better choice. You could get a thin cutting wheel and carefully cut a slice into the pitman arm to help and a torch could damage the steering box seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode