Hard to corner when in 4H or 4L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 PM
tampabay

Hard to corner when in 4H or 4L

When I placed my Dodge 1500 4x4 truck in 4H or 4L, it is really hard to turn. When it is in 2H, it runs great. Just when it is in 4 wheel drive that it's hard to turn. It has new tires and everything. Can anyone help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 PM

Re: Hard to corner when in 4H or 4L

[ QUOTE ]
When I placed my Dodge 1500 4x4 truck in 4H or 4L, it is really hard to turn. When it is in 2H, it runs great. Just when it is in 4 wheel drive that it's hard to turn. It has new tires and everything. Can anyone help please?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume that you are new to 4wd trucks because I read your profile and it is incomplete....no shame in being a novice, everybody is one at least once.

Your Dodge truck most probably has part time 4wd. You should not engage the 4wd (either hi or low range) on dry pavement. You could damage it.

What you are describing is what is known as driveline bind. It occurs because your front and rear drivesahfts are locked together when the 4wd mode is engaged and you try to make a turn. The driveline begins to bind because your front wheels and tires are rotating at different speeds but the driveshafts cannot. That is the grabbing and bucking you feel in the front end when turning. Going straight keeps the wheels turning all at the same speed so there is no binding then. When off road, the tires will slip slightly during a 4wd turn and the bind gets relieved.

The good news is that you probably haven't done damage to the 4wd system yet and you do know that your 4wd system does engage. Good Luck!! Remember don't use your 4wd on dry pavement. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 06:57 AM
tampabay

Yes, I am a novice. The truck is a 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. I thought that you can use the 4H on pavement for extra traction such as rain or something. So, you are telling me that nothing is wrong with my truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Yes, your truck is OK.....remember I said dry pavement.....snow and ice you can use it on road. If there is some standing water on the road during a rain storm, you could use it if you think you need it for extra traction.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DOES THE STEERING WHEEL KICK BACK WHILE DO,IN THIS / IF IT DOES YOU HAVE bad AXLE JOINTS AND THATS ALL THATS WRONG / sorry about the caps
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 PM
tampabay

It does kick back. Do I have to replace the axle joint? If so, is it expensive?

Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 PM

the axle jpints arent necessarily bad. thats just the cross-shape of the universal joints in the axle changing postions and accelerating-decelerating as they rotate--they're doing their job. If you have no steering feedback when in 2wd, then the joints are fine. Flip down the driver's sun visor for tips on when to use or when not to use 4wd. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode