99 DODGE CUMINS ENGINE WILL NOT MOVE IN SNOW - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM
BRICK83

99 DODGE CUMINS ENGINE WILL NOT MOVE IN SNOW

hELLO i HOPE SOMEBODY CAN HELP. MY 99DODGE 2500 CUMINS WILL NOT MOVE IN SAND OR A LOT OF SNOW. WHEN 4X4 IS INGAGED THE FRONT WHEELS MOVE UNTILL THEY MEET RESISTANTS AND THEN THEY DO NOT TURN NO MATER HOW MUCH GAS I GIVE THE WHEELS WILL NOT SPIN. tHE DEALER IS OF NO HELP THEY SAY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG AND I AM ON MY OWEN.TODAY WHEN I TRYED TO GET OUT OF A PARKING SPOT AFTER A LOT OF SNOW 1 OF MY FRONT WHEELS SPUN AND THEN LOCKED UP AND THEN THE OTHER 1 SPUN BUT NEVER THE 2 TWO GETHER WHEN UNDER PRESURE. iF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEAS THAT I CAN TAKE TO A AUTO SHOP I WOULD VERY THANK FULL.
MICK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Official Historian

Re: 99 DODGE CUMINS ENGINE WILL NOT MOVE IN SNOW

It is working perfectly normal if one front wheel is spinning. That is because you have an open front differential. If you want to limit how much one spins and make the other pull some, then put a limited slip differential in. If you want the most traction you can get, put a locking differential in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 AM
BRICK83

THANK YOU, FOR GETTING BACK TO ME, THAT MAKES SENSE, BUT WHY CAN'T I DRIVE IN SAND IF THE TRUCK IS IN 4X4, THE 2 FRONT WHEELS STOP MOVING AND THE MORE GAS I GIVE THE MORE THE TRUCK SHUTTERS BUT THE 2 WHEELS DO NOT SPIN. WHEN I TAKE IT TO THE SHOP THEY PUT IT ON THE LIFT IN 4X4 AND THE 4 WHEELS SPIN, IT IS ONLY WHEN PRESURE IS APLYED THAT THE WHEELS STOP TURNING.WHEN I'M FISHING ON THE BEACH THE SAME TRUCKS AS MINE ARE DRIVING AS IF THEY WERE ON A PAVED ROAD.
THANKS AGAIN, ANY MORE INFO WOULD BE WELCOMED.
MICK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Official Historian

The next time that happens, have someone watch the front driveshaft to see if it turns. If it does, your problem is in the front axle. If it doesn't, then the transfer case is the problem. We had a dodge 4x4 at work that had a transfer case problem. I'll ask tomorrow what the problem is because I have forgotten what happened to it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 07:37 AM
BRICK83

Thanks again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

l,d say it was the anti-lock brakes do.in there job of stopping wheel spin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Or do what I did to my 95 2500, I just added a little bigger tire than stock! Getting stuck is pretty much history for me... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode