lift questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Paul Cox

lift questions

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here and have a few questions for ya'all. I have a 97 ram 1500 4x4 ext cab. I just put a Tuff Country 5" sus. lift on it and am thinking about a 3 inch body lift as well. One question is, is it going to tear anything up to put the body lift in aswell. Is it too much? Also susp. lift says good for 35x12.5 tires. Do I need new rims for the bigger tires if I go with the 315x75x16 (35x12.5)? Can I fit the 15's on this truck? Do I need to redue the rear and front end gear ratio's also to keep the tranny from burning out or will it be ok?
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:35 PM

Re: lift questions

Your rims are probaly the 6.5" width, check your new tire recommendations on rim widths. Tranny could die with big tires, 4:56 gearing should be done, but if you drive like a grandma then it ok. If you 4 wheel alot use the low range at low speeds to help your tranny, heat is its enemy, a big cooler is recommended and a tranny pan with cooling fins and extra capacity are good...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:18 PM

I see no need for the extra 3 inch body lift to fit the 35s, they should fit fien with just the 5 inch suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Paul Cox

Thanks guys for the input. I'll probably only ever drive this truck on the road. Any idea the best place to get the gears?
Paul
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:55 PM

Motive Gear, Randy's Ring and Pinion...the list goes on and on. Either search on the internet or go through the ads in any 4x4 magazine. Tons of vendors run adds in there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Paul Cox

Ok, I looked into the gears and asked a bunch of questions. It sounds like it might be over my head to install them. I'm sure I can get them in but not sure about all the alignment. The front one sounds really involved. They said probably between $1500-$2000 installed. Sounds a little steep. Do I realy need to do that to run the 35's or if I take it easy on the road will I be ok. Stock tire is a 29 with option of going up to 32 which is what I have on now.
Please help! I don't want to cook the tranny but also dont want to spend several thousand extra if I dont have too.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode