Dodge Diesel trucks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
JCC

Dodge Diesel trucks

Things are kind of slow around here so I'll post something to get some opinions going. I am going to trade my 1500 for a 2500 ctd soon. I have been reading around other boards about them. I have read enough that I am scared of an auto in these trucks. I have been reading the local truck trader for a couple of months and I can only find one truck with a manual in my range, that is within 200 miles. What are your opinions on the auto. I will only be towing about 6000# until I can afford a slide in camper in a few years. JCC [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 09:00 PM

Re: Dodge Diesel trucks

You need to keep the tranny running cool by adding an auxilary tranny cooler. With the automatic while towing you need to shut off the over drive, this is the main thing that kills our auto's. The o/d overheats trying to keep up the speed while pulling heavy loads in which causes it to wear and gets particles of metal floating around into the rest of the tranny. The other thing is the tranny cooler line next to the radiator has an inline spring loaded check ball that can stick in the closed position which stops tranny fluid from flowing and overheats the tranny which blows it! Heat is bad...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You don't realy need an aux cooler for what you are going to pull. Weather you pull in or out of over drive all depends on the gear ratio. If you are going to go to an auto get 4.10 gears if at all possible. Pulling 6000# will be a piece of cake. I have a 2000 with an auto and 4.10 gears that I pull my yellow truck with, that is about 10,000 including the trailer. It pulls alot harder then 10,000# because of all the wind it cathces though. This has been to CA and back twice, thats a 5000 mile round trip. And many other places all year round. It will be fine as long as you take care of it and use your head, no it will not last as long as a manual. Have 84,000 on this one so far with no problems, pull in over drive all the time. Also have a 2001 with 3.55's and that will pull in overdrive on the flats but you find it shifting gears a bunch more, and the milage is the same. Worse thing about a used one is that you don't know how the last guy took care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
JCC

Well I bit the bullet yesterday and move up to a CTD Ram. I got a 2001 2500 with only 9800 miles on it. I drove 200 miles to look around at 6 trucks, this was the only one left. Of course it was the most expensive one on my list. It has the auto and 3.54 gears but it seems to pull better than my old 360 with 4.10's. I love V8's but that cummins rattle is awesome. JCC
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Congrats. I was really looking for a CTD Ram 2500 4x4 last fall, then my insurance agent told me how much insurance would be for 6 months. No thanks.

Definately put a tranny cooler on there. Biggest one you can fit. While you are doing it, might as well change the fluid, put a drain plug in the pan, and put in a tranny temp guage. At least that's my current plan, still saving, Summit's gonna love me when I call.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Also, only use the Chrysler spec ATF. ATF+4 is what your truck should use. I use the Chrysler stuff that dealers sell just to be sure, but others have had good luck with the name brand ATF+3/4 tranny oils.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
JCC

I did not even think about insurance. I got scared when I read your post. I got online to change to new truck today and it wasn't that bad, only $40 a year higher than my reg. cab 01 Ram. Now if I can get my Zuk motivating I'll be towing in style. JCC [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Mud in my Veins

Well, I also had an accident last February that cost the insurance company $3000 worth of body damage to my previous truck. So when they saw the 2500 and the $5000 engine option, they went NOPE!

I figure in a few years my rates will be down, barring no more bad experiences with black ice.[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode