Superswamper - about that oil burner... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 11:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Superswamper - about that oil burner...

Hey, remember me???

I've been considering making the switch myself - it's time to build something new... Well, that, and my V10 had some SERIOUS problems a few months back, but more on that later...

How close were those 16.5's to fitting your new one? Think a little die grinder work on the backs of the calipers could take care of it???

Also, how do you like your new powerplant vs. gas? Especially off-road -er- off-highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Superswamper - about that oil burner...

i thought he got the V10?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

Swamper got the V10, didn't like the 5k price tag for the diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oops! Thought he got the new(?) diesel... A word of caution Superswamper - if your engine ever starts losing coolant but you can't find out where TAKE IT IN. Long story short - mine had minimal coolant loss (overflow would go empty and about 1 quart low in radiator) but never consistently, and everything would pressure test fine - even overnight. Well, one day a little while ago my girlfriend was driving down the highway and ???. Now I have NO compression in cyl #9 and only 50psi in #7.

Talked to a few service depts at local dealers (I work for a Ford dealer that also owns a Chrysler franchise) and they seem to think that cracks in the head caused it to leak a little coolant from time to time. Finally enough to melt down the cylinders in question. I am just getting the time to tear it down, but looking at the plugs from those cylinders look like they experienced a lean nitrous burn-down. That, and I don't remember putting in "metal-flake" Mobil 1 at the last oil change.

Anyway, I have 38K on it now, and will try to get some warranty assistance from the dealer I work for, but I am a little spooked about putting it back together since I plan on keeping the truck. I don't know if I want to build a new one, or swap in a Cummins, Hemi, or 440/500 stroker. I hear the parts for V10s are very expen$ive, and if I'm going to spend the money, I only want to do it once.

BTW know anyone who has swapped in a Cummins, Hemi, or 440 into a new (94+) Dodge?? Obviously the ECM would have to go, but the trans is ALMOST all hydraulic (not electrcally controlled). Don't know if you've ever had one apart, but all they are is a 727 with a bolt-on OD unit actuated by a solenoid, which is located in a spacer plate sandwiched in between the orignal(?) valve body halves. I think I could just run the OD with a toggle switch...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 04:20 PM

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Your back! Its been some time and yes i've got the v-10 gas guzzler. Exactly how much would be needed to be grinded to clear the 16.5, not sure but I was able to start some lug nuts but just couldn't push it all the way on. The calipers are absolutely huge! It would take a while to grind 4 calipers down. I would love to check the rear too since I only checked one front tire, but i'm sure there the same.
Thinking of getting a new quad cab??? Which motor??? You thinking of putting on the boggers on it... Welcome home! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, the short version is that yes, I am thinking of getting something new... Why? I loved the V10's power & efficiency (450 lbs/ft @ 14 mpg), but going down the highway the other day, cylinders #7 and #9 melted down... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm in the process of disassembly to check it out, but I'm pretty sure it's all done. I'm pretty upset though - the engine was completely stock and had only 38K!! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] I work for a local (Ford) dealer that also owns a local Chrysler dealer, so I'm hoping to get at least some help from Chrysler on it.

I have decided not to keep the V10, so, depending on what I find and Chrysler's reaction, I will either be fixing it and selling/trading it, swapping in a Hemi (old style), swapping in a Cummins, or trading/buying a new or used diesel. Whatever the case, it'll get hot-rodded and have 38s or better. The new trucks and new diesel is growing on me, but I also like the proven design of the 94-02 trucks, and the fact that they have Dana axles.

As far as the lift goes I may just make my own 8-12". I was in the planning and design phase of lifting mine 12" for 44's, and lifting a new 03 would be almost the same (money and structure).

The diesel thing has got me very intrigued (500 hp at the wheels and 8000 lbs running 13 sec 1/4 mile times!), and an (old) hemi is just universally cool. I'm too spooked to keep a truck out of warranty with an engine that costs 7K and just fails at random like that. No warning signs, no mods, no check engine light, synthetic oil since new and immaculately maintained, and bam - two dead holes. Your thoughts?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 07:35 PM

I think the warranty thing is tough since the truck is a 98 but the mileage is a good thing or leverage. Talk to a chrysler rep about it to see if theres any help or at least to cover new parts...
Whats this: 14 mpg? A v-10 with that mileage? So far mine is around 9.2 mpg for a mix of city and highway miles! I'm not lead footing it too much either. I wish I could get 14 mpg...Deisel yes, my v-10, no. Good luck with your truck and mopar to ya!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

If the dealers won't cooperate, get ahold of one of the area Chrysler reps. If they won't help, go and find out who the regional rep is. Just keep going up the ladder. Eventually someone is gonna be annoyed that the guys below are shafting you and is gonna do something. Guy over on the ORC/Chevy board did it a few years ago with his pickup. He actually ended up calling someone in Detroit about it and next thing he knew a very sheepish sounding dealer service manager was calling him.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:14 PM

Hey bluthndr, I see on your signature that you have cat back exhaust, how does it sound and what did you use? Does it sound like a gay honda lowrider due to the v-10's firing order? I would like a great flowmaster sound but from what i've heard the v-10 is difficult to sound good... What is your thoughts for a good sound? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode