What skid plates do i HAVE to get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What skid plates do i HAVE to get?

1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500 Regular Cab Long Bed...

35 Gallon Gas Tank
5" Skyjacker Lift
Dana 44 on the Front
Corporate 9.25 on the Rear

I mainly will be mudding, but from time to time, try simple crawling, nothing too advanced. Don't really want to bang up my vehicle right now.

What skids would you get for this truck, Gas Tank, Diffs, Control Arms, etc...

What order are they most important, any idea of sites that would sell for my truck, most I find are only for jeeps [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Since i'm getting work done on my truck soon, money is an issue, so the cheapest with good quality would be the way for me to go.

I have seen these...Axle Trusses- Front and Rear Differential Protection from Go Rhino, anyone have opinions on these. $110.95, probably could get for less...
Axle Trusses

How many of you make your own? Can I just go to Home Depot and pick up a simple welder and torch and do my own easy? Or would that equipment costs hundreds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 02:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: What skid plates do i HAVE to get?

Axle trusses like that are a waste of money. More things to chrome plate for the pavement princess and show crowd.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Another way to mount 4 more shocks.

Only skidplate you should have now is the transfer case one. Fabbing up a stronger one and/or moving it up a bit higher so it doesn't hang down so low wouldn't be bad.

You could do a gas tank skidplate, but unless you're going to be seriously rock crawling where a rock going up that high is a possibility, it'd be a lot of work to make one that actually worked and didn't get in the way.

Making something that protected the transmission similar to how the transfer case is protected wouldn't be bad either.

On the diffs there are various things that can be done. The stock front D44 diff cover is pretty beefy steel, so just one of those rock rings would work for it. Only thing I'd do was see if I could get a cover off of a late 70's Ford F150 or F250 with a reverse rotation D44. The cover sticks out a bit more, so you can put more gear oil in. If you got really involved, you could even shave the housing some for more clearance.

On the rear 9.25" a thicker cover with a normal fill plug would be a definate improvement.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Again, some kind of rock ring would be good for it.

Aside from that, not much more worth skid plating unless you want to go REALLY hard core.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 07:48 PM

I've bashed everything under my truck, almost! A small car I was crushing almost went thru my plastic gas tank, boulders ripping off and denting running boards and transfer case shield, other rocks bending lower control arm mounts. I even almost destroyed my front axle truss/skid plate during a truck show where I ripped off a hood from 1 car out of 5, it even got stuck between the axle and truss and a buddy with a hummer pulled it out! I had to straighten it alot... I have ripped off tail pipes, snapped hangers and bashed several shocks and steering stabilizers. Theres a few things that could use protection as noted above and escepially if you drive like me. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So what do you think of the Avalanche Rock Ring for a diff cover on the front Dana 44...

Rock Ring Diff Protection

Explanation of the Rock Ring
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

Oooh, superswamper reminded me, if you don't have the lower link skidplates that Skyjacker sells, get them as well.

As he also says, not everyone uses their truck to crush cars. I sure wouldn't. He does illustrate some examples of what can mess your vehicle up though.

Avalanche makes good stuff. That D44 rock ring looks mean.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Might want to try http://mo-offroad.com too. Their Rock Bruiser diff covers are postively beefy and priced very nicely.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Not sure if our track bar would clear though.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ones from mo-offroad look pretty nice, but the truss and cover combo would probably cost $400.

Whereas the avalance ones were around $125. I think the mo-offroad ones are nice, but for heavy heavy duty rock crawling. I think the avalance ones are good enough for decent rock crawling and more than enough for mudding. I'll have to think about this one a little.

Now as far as the skyjacker lower link skidplates, I don't see them on their site, I will have to call them about that, unless you guys know of a site. I would like to get those. Any idea on price?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:48 AM
Mud in my Veins

The more I look at it, the more I doubt the Rock Bruiser cover would clear our track bar.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The axle truss is for leaf sprung D44's, not our coil sprung D44's. To bad.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Avalanche's stuff would definately do the job. Have to be a fricken small boulder hidden in the mud for you to even be worried about it.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think i'll probably go with the avalanche. I'll give them a call tomorrow and make sure it goes on the Dana 44 with the Dodge Ram 1500 fine. And ya never no when there may be the rock hidden in the mud, so best to be a little prepared [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Man have I figured out a skid plate that I need [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Today I just screwed up my power steering by dropping in a huge mud pit. I'll show you the nice picture tomorrow or the next day.

Basically the steering box(or whatever it's called) that the pitman arm goes into, I broke it somewhat. All of my power steering fluid leaked out and now I have manual steering. Probably will take it in tomorrow to have it looked at. It looks like the Pitman arm is pulled out of it slightly.

It sure would be nice to have a little bit of armor there, so that my truck could have hit that, instead of banging the pitman arm real hard and damaging my power steering.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 06:31 PM

<font color="green"> Don't get the dealer gear box, its exspensive, I think its $650! Buy aftermarket. I got the agr box, I blew one by snapping the output shaft internally, luckily I had got to my destination. I could not turn the wheels even though the steering wheel turned. I got another agr box and its fine. I had the gear box almost rip off the frame, there was cracks around the bolts so I just welded them up. </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode